The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Feedback required - Autotrader

Lucifer

I think you should make every picture advertising a car for sale have a loaf shot.

That way you won't get flooded with thousands of phantoms from trade sellers wanting some free advertising/hook into their dealer site etc?

Just a thought ;)

Could you explain... not sure what you mean... ta

Could you explain... not sure what you mean... ta

I think one of the risks associated with providing free advertising is that you can end up getting a large amount of advertisements placed by people who are actually traders, without actually having the car in the advertisement on their books (phantoms).

It would be good to be able to determine if the pictures in the advertisement were legitimate - hence the "loaf shot". Perhaps a loaf of bread isn't appropriate for a commercial venture, however there maybe other suitable alternatives...

I think one of the risks associated with providing free advertising is that you can end up getting a large amount of advertisements placed by people who are actually traders, without actually having the car in the advertisement on their books (phantoms).

It would be good to be able to determine if the pictures in the advertisement were legitimate - hence the "loaf shot". Perhaps a loaf of bread isn't appropriate for a commercial venture, however there maybe other suitable alternatives...

Yes I had been pondering this one, but still not sure what a loaf shot is and how it woudl help?

loaf shot - well, I'm not entirely sure of the origins - I think its been referenced regarding a claim to own a particular car, its been discussed on here before...

The long and short of it is that when people introduce themselves on the Internet and provide pictures, there is no way of knowing whether the pictures are of the person (or indeed their claimed object), so a picture must be obtained of the person with a loaf of bread on their head - thus eliminating the suspicion that the picture may not be of the person in question.

So, loaf shots for cars could actually include a loaf of bread, or a can of beans etc (I think this is actually where it originated from). You could even insist on there being a proper loaf shot just so that you can compile your own collection of loafs :p