The mkiv Supra Owners Club

targa top conversion

Guest hamps_w

eerrr, are j-spec aerotops faster than UK aerotops (knowing full well that uk aerotops do not AFAIK exist?) or any other aerotops (eg US)? :flame Dev

where's dude/terry/matt etc etc ... :p :p

this must be a horrific attempt at trolling/causing mischief ? :innocent:

Originally posted by lust2luv

I find it unlikely that Toyota would have spent vast amounts of money redesigning major bodyparts for what must have been a very limited production run of cars.

Limited production run? Aren't the vast majority of US Supras in fact Aerotop?

Well to start with and this is a generalisation of open top/targa top cars, the A pillars are going to be stronger as will the top of the windscreen. The C pillars leading up to the back of the open targa (up and behind your head when your driving) will be strengthened. Also typically the chassis floor, engine firewall and the sill panel area.

A full comp spec roll cage welded or bolted would provide the strength needed to replace the roof. But as has been said, getting it MOT'd may prove troublesome. It would probably have to be declared as a 'self build' or similar (I don't know about this bit).

Whatever route is taken - new shell or cutting and welding in Windscreen top rail and back rail of targa roof for the mounting points will result in a respray being needed anyway.

Plus huge amounts of work, cost etc.

On balance my humble suggestion would be to buy an aerotop and transfer everything to that car.

Originally posted by Gordon F

Right up with those lardy UK's then...........where's dude? :)

Too far in front and lookin too good to care :cool:

BTW i know of an aero breaking if you want all the strengthening and the roof allthough this is damaged , you could cut the whole top off at the pillars and then youd have an aero roof .

Dude:flame Dev

Originally posted by Gaz Walker

Thats what I've always thought was funny ;)

Pot calling Kettle :p

Plus all that chrome must add another 20kg easy ;)

Gaz.

Of course Gaz you could allways pop down south in a uk and race my 'lardy arse ' for some $$$$$$$ , the reason UK's are Lardy aint just the weight its the fact they are lazy spoolin and built for comfort and not speed , something you may well identify with :D :) :cool: , :sly:

Dude :flame Dev

Love you too Gaz;)

Originally posted by Jake

Limited production run? Aren't the vast majority of US Supras in fact Aerotop?

Indeed, but that's still only going to run into what 10-20k max? Comparatively, a fairly limited production run.

Has anyone compared the A pillars for noticable differences?

:looney:

Originally posted by pulse

I've read quite a few things now that say the reason Toyota stopped making the aerotop so early was because it was found to be structurally unsafe to begin with..

If the thing was unsafe for the road, I doubt Toyota would be allowed to sell it. If they found out after a while that it was unsafe, surely they would recall the whole lot to avoid any liability issues?

Remember also that European cars were Aerotops as well (from what I read somewhere - JIC site perhaps?), so there's Japanese, US and European Aerotops all driving around. I dunno how many were sold in Europe...?

Interesting about the heavier weight though, particularly as the Aerotop roof is made of aluminium. Wouldn't that be lighter than the standard roof, thus confirming that the extra weight must be in chassis strengthening...?