The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Re-setting up the car

Ian C

Hi all.  I'm picking my Supra up on Saturday morning, as it's running etc., but I have no confidence in it at the moment that it's set up correctly.  After an engine swap that was caused by detonation, which in turn was probably caused by too much boost or not enough fuel, I'm wondering how the hell you go about checking the fuelling and boosting?

What's my next step, apart from not boosting when I drive the car home?!?  I have no faith in the fuelling or the boost control, either could be problematic, but I don't know where to start in checking them out...  I also don't know what my safe limits would be - the turbos are now stock j-spec, but I've got an FMIC, blah blah, would 1 bar be too high?  I don't know how low it will boost with one cat removed.

How will I know if it's boosting too much or not fuelling enough?

I have no experience of this, and I don't necessarily want to check it out myself, I just want to learn about it so a tuner can't fob me off with tat advice.

Sorry it's a lot of gumby questions, but you experts should be able to show off some knowledge here :)

-Ian

I am not claiming to be an expert, but  it is my understanding  that when  the  first cat is left  in the system, it still provides sufficient  restriction to keep boost levels down to safe levels.  If you don’t want  the  first cat left in Chris Wilson can supply a down pipe with a 2.5” restriction which keeps boost down to safe levels.

With your FMIC you will be achieving lower induction gas temperatures as well so should be in a better position than me. If I am wrong then many of us may be sitting on a potential melt down.

On my car with onre cat pout I was  hitting  fuel cut at  14psi. I now have  Pete Betts fuel cut chip which is suposed to set upper limit to 18psi, but their have been several posts which cast doubt about the  air fuel ratio due to the  limits of the stock UECU

If you suspect, you have fuelling  problems then some one like Leon would be your best  point of contact, he is very good and  as a consequence is heavily booked.