The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Got my car back

Ian C

The biggest of which is - no second turbo!  At least, when I hit 4000rpm and the second turbo switches in, there is a big loss of power, loss of boost, and a loud induction noise sounding like I have lifted off (but it keeps making the noise).  I would say it's venting rather than boosting, the old loose hose problem.  But, I have no idea where to start looking - can anyone assist me with perhaps a picture and some arrows? :)

Other snags are:

*Trac light still flashing after I reset the ECU - I heard mention of the throttle butterfly and trac fuse or ecu of something?

*No throttle % opening reading on both APEXi units - it just stays at 0% - this is worrying as I assume the APEXi units need to know the throttle opening and currently don't...  Could this be related to the Trac stuff?

*Stock boost gauge hits full + as soon as you are accelerating even the tiniest of amounts.  The APEXi units and aftermarket boost gauge show boost normally

*Idle speed is between 1080-1200rpm, unlike the 680 it used to be!  Hopefully this is an artefact of the ECU being reset, but how long does it take to sort itself out?  I've done 40ish miles...

Any help would be appreciated!  I also have to get the courage up to give it some welly and see how it performs once the turbos are working properly...  Stress stress...

Guest Martin F

Ian, i know this is not very helpful but with all those problems don't you think you should be taking it back to whoever fitted the engine ???

Because to me it sounds like they have made a right pig's ear of it.

Just my two peneth worth :)

That's a viewpoint others have given as well, and it's perfectly valid.

One factor is that I would like to learn this stuff for myself.

Another factor is that the Ford garage, although competent, cannot be expected to sort out such a complex bit of non-Ford kit, especially one that's been modified.

A third factor is that it cost them 42.5 hours to do it but they only charged me 25hours as I was quoted that :)

I want to know how to fix these things, and I want to learn more about the engine, and I'll never do that unless I have an 'in at the deep end' reason.  I learnt sooo much sorting the BHG on my MKIII...

-Ian

Guest Martin F

Well some of your viewpoints i share and others i don't, such is life.

But as far as i am concerned if you ask somebody to replace an engine then they should at least ensure that it runs correctly at the time that you pick the car up. If not they may as well of just done the heavy stuff and let you trailered it home.

I too was also thrown in at the deep end when our engine went on the MKIII, but i tend to find that for me, that is the best way to learn.

Ian i really think you are going to struggle with this because your car was\is so highly modified and to me it sounds like the garage didn't make good notes when they took everything apart, remember how many damned hoses there were when you did that BHG ??

You may find that because of all the mods done that some of the original parts are just not there, so using the TRSM won't be a great help.

My advice would be to get it to one of the MKIV experts and pay attention to what they do and say, excluding the expletives!!!

Ian, you need to do some basic checks and make sure all the electrical plugs/sockets are connected properly.

I realise that this is a difficult thing to do if you are not sure what should be connected to where in the first place, as I was in that position once. But it is basically a case of getting the manual(s) and working it all out.

A good way is to compare a known working car.

Perhaps a step forward might be to ask a member, who lives close to you, to bring their car around on a, "You bring the car and I'll supply the beers" basis.

Another thing you should do (well, it's the very first thing I would do if you brought the car to me, apart from checking all the wiring and vacuum hoses, etc) is to check for any stored fault codes... instructions are on the MKIV.com website.

Learning about what makes the MKIV tick is an exciting venture. One that took me about 2-years to accomplish. Which is why I cannot help but admire your enthusiasm and I wish you every success.  

Yours,

J

Ash, thanks for that.  I don't like not knowing about things I like doing/using etc...

I'm going to be pestering the BBS about various things, but that's what it's here for, isn't it?  :)  I've already spent some time on the MKIV list and I've sussed out the TT sequential operation and what I should be looking for to diagnose circular boost (the Exhaust Gas Control Valve not opening or the no.2 turbo being shafted is my opinion so far!).  The manuals - anywhere that I can get them from?

Alex - there are better things to do in a pub car park than look at engines, such as go in, get beer, and look at girls :)  Thanks for the offer, but the trouble is - yours has electrical probs as well!  :(

-Ian

Ian, many pages of the manuals are on the MKIV website. Or you could subscribe to ALLDATA for a year which is about $15 that will give you the facility of downloading the MKIV manuals to view on your computer screen.

But there is nothing like having a hard-copy manual(s) when you need them IMO. They are available. Oakmere Toyota are very helpful in that regard (I think it was ChrisW who first put them forward on the old list). Haven't got their number to hand but I'm sure Chris could oblige.

I know what you mean when talking as regards knowing about stuff you like doing. Such has been the story of my life.

Here's wishing you the best of luck,

J