The mkiv Supra Owners Club

front lower arm bushes

GavinL

Hi...

I am looking into getting replacement front lower arm bushes (neoprene or similar) for my car and wonder if anyone has had experience in removing the old rubber jobbies and what, if any, problems or issues with installing the new one's

Ash or Chris...I think  this may be for you.

thanks in advance.............

Guest Martin F

Lets just say if the ones on the MKIII are anything to go by they will be a real 8itch!!!

9 times out of 10 the bolts are corroded to the bushes and need to be cut out. If the bolts aren't corroded to the bushes then the job shouldn't be too bad.

If you are thinking about getting Leon or somebody similar to do this then i would try to get them to agree to a fixed price, because if they find the bushes and bolts are welded, ahem corroded, together then the hours will begin to mount up.

HTH

Martin - Who would rather replace an engine than attempt lower wishbone bushes again :biggrin:

Quote: from GavinL on 2:45 pm on Jan. 1, 2002[br]Hi...

I am looking into getting replacement front lower arm bushes (neoprene or similar) for my car and wonder if anyone has had experience in removing the old rubber jobbies and what, if any, problems or issues with installing the new one's

If you are able to send me a complete lower arm I will assess the practicality of converting to spherical bearings as a semi commercially available option for you and others. I now have a source of fully weatherproofed heavy duty joints that might be adaptible for this application. I doubt they would transmit an intolerable amount of noise.

Quote: from Martin F on 4:27 pm on Jan. 1, 2002[br]

9 times out of 10 the bolts are corroded to the bushes and need to be cut out. If the bolts aren't corroded to the bushes then the job shouldn't be too bad.

Hmm...not what I wanted to hear.

Stupid question, can't you just burn the little bu$$ers off with a blow lamp?

(Edited by GavinL at 5:49 pm on Jan. 1, 2002)

Guest Martin F

Not too sure, theory says you should be able to, but the rubber is quite tough and access isn't easy.

I did originally try heating the bolts to try and break their attachment to the bush but there is a lot of metal to heat. Maybe oxy-acetelene (sp?) would work.

I had mine changed as part of the Whiteline kit I had installed on mine, the guy who did it said it was the worst part of the lot to do, but it was definantely worth it in the steering feel department.

Quote: from HardHead42 on 12:27 pm on Jan. 2, 2002[br]

I had mine changed as part of the Whiteline kit I had installed on mine, the guy who did it said it was the worst part of the lot to do, but it was definantely worth it in the steering feel department.

Thanks Rich ...I wanted confirmation that the steering feel would improve. Compared to my previous car, Mazda MX-6, the Supra steering feels like mush.

Thanks Rich ...I wanted confirmation that the steering feel would improve. Compared to my previous car, Mazda MX-6, the Supra steering feels like mush.

The whiteline kit raplaces the front lower, and rear lower bushes on the front suspension and imporves the steering quite a bit, the feels a little more direct, when you have a look at how much rubber there is in the original bushes it's not surprising there is mushiness especially when they have been on the car a few years.

You will need to get them pressed in AFAIK as they are a vrey tight fit (for obvious reasons). Mark A may be able to give you more info as he had the full Whiteline kit put on recently.

Quote: from HardHead42 on 12:58 pm on Jan. 2, 2002[br]

The whiteline kit raplaces the front lower, and rear lower bushes on the front suspension and imporves the steering quite a bit, the feels a little more direct, when you have a look at how much rubber there is in the original bushes it's not surprising there is mushiness especially when they have been on the car a few years.

You will need to get them pressed in AFAIK as they are a vrey tight fit (for obvious reasons). Mark A may be able to give you more info as he had the full Whiteline kit put on recently.

I have spoken to Leon and he has done this sort of thing before. Hopefully as I am having new shocks and springs fitted at the same time so hopefully the cost will be minimal....fingers crossed.