The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Aftermarket induction (HKS) kits - Why do highly tuned cars have them?

supRo

Guest Flat4_ire
A lot of HKS bolt-on stuff is shite. Period.

like? nearly all hks stuff is "bolt on stuff"! and ive never had a prob with any hks stuff ive had, BOV, Induction, exhaust etc, and im sure their turbo's are very high quality too!!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Try removing the stock airbox on a honda vtec engine, You will see a power drop nomatter what filte or dyno method used.

Doesnt stop all the usual suspects claiming power gains when trying to flog their tat.

I had an AEM V2 intake on my civic a while back, had a k & n style cone filter, located down behind the front bumper. i recall the engine feeling less punchy but smoother. i think it ironed out the power 'peak' to be lower, hence the smoothness. sounded good though, and looked the dogs bollox!!

im sure ive read somewhere about drag cars, profesionals etc and why they use poor filtratration filters or no filter at all. it was put down to the fact they dont need to do 100k+ miles (as has been mentioned) and also the fact that the drag strips are cleaner, less dusty etc than our lovely english roads.

Guest Flat4_ire
Yes but did it give a power gain, I doubt it.

not sure man, but when i went in and came out the car was def quicker!

he messed with the timing a little bit and she def pulled better, 186bhp on 95ron

• 1 month later...
Well I'm planning on using a duct in the place where the SMIC normally is to duct air into the bottom/side of a sealed box with the filter in. Plus the normal feed from the area in front of the radiator. Shouldn't be too hard. You can easily get ducts and hose from places like Demon Tweeks.

I would be careful about where you duct the air from, I've heard nightmare stories of similar modifications done to nissan 200sx's, that end up with an aqua-locked engine when they drive through a puddle at any kind of speed.