The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Cheap laptop with Serial port

carl0s

I have a cheap laptop which needs to go.

It's a HP Omnibook XE3. Pentium-III 850Mhz (not the celeron or AMD duron version).

Spec:

• 14.1" TFT Screen
  • Pentium-III 850Mhz
  • 128mb SDRAM. It won't take the 256mb sticks I have here :(. Just about to try a BIOS upgrade on that though.
  • 20gb HDD
  • 10/100 Ethernet
  • 56k modem
  • CD-Writer
  • Floppy Drive
  • New-ish battery (old one also provided)
  • 9-pin Serial port

The battery was replaced not long ago, and holds a good charge. All cables and a carry case are included. The CDROM drive plays up a bit - it seems it can take a couple of open/closes to get it to recognise a disc, but I'm working on that now. I had hoped to replace the unit with a Toshiba DVD/CDRW drive but the bezel doesn't fit. If you're really not fussy then I could still do that but it'd have a light-grey bezel which looks silly but works well :)

Pictures to follow. One thing to note is that this is a very rubust machine - it has quite a hard-wearing design on the case.

It's running Windows 98SE. I have a spare XP Home license on a completely-knackered machine, and could move that across but it'd really work better with XP if it had more RAM.

b'have - I work for an IT asset management company - what sort of spec are you looking at (ie what is required? serial port etc)

Can get hold of pretty much anything I would have thought...

any chance of some kind of list being sent over to me? Or does one need to have an agreed account and purchase volumes?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. You might also be interested in our Guidelines, Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.