The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Intercooler Throughput

Alex

Can anyone suggest what sort of flow rate through an intercooler should be able to cope effectively with a Hybris Turbo setup of upto 600BHP? Litre of air per Min or Hour.

Rough Dimensions and type of core? Is there a minimum cooling efficiency rating which I shouldn't drop below?? I would want to have the flexibility to run at UPTO 1.8bar on Hybrids with out it having an asthma attack! :)

How big should the piping be?? 3"?

Regards

I'm allowing for a lot of le-way. And someone is trying to source me an intercooler from ex development stock - if I know how much thermal efficiency and flow rate I need I can give him an idea of what to look for....

600hp was a figure I plucked out of the air simply because its higher than I've ever heard of a Hybrid system getting to, so if the system can handle anything that hybrids can throw at them I'll be chuffed, but I don't want a system that would be better on a T-88!!!

Cheers Anyway....

Quote: from Alex Holdroyd on 9:10 pm on Jan. 14, 2002[br]Back to top.... really appreciate any help

I have now sourced Secam intercooler cores, if anyone wants the ULTIMATE intercooler and wants to spend a LOT of money on the best cores in the world (F1 uses Secam pretty much exclusively) then i can get anything you want made up. As a guide a core the size of the HKS FMIC without end tanks would be about 2000, but made from such an efficient core as the Secam this would be far too big to be sensible.  The cores are quite unlike anything you are likely to have seen unless you are a die hard race engineering freak :-)

I am using Secam core on my RX, the cost of the core is outweighed by their efficiency, it's like a magic power elixir  I haven't got the flow and efficiency figures (Secam keep these very close to their chests, they really only like to deal with BIG race teams) but I'd bet a Secam cored stock sized I/C in stock location would outperform all the big aftermarket FMIC's.

I can also supply Secam cored rads, again, the ultimate bar none.