The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supras as day cars!

zabe_1

done some more quotes and u guys are right, big difference between uk car and import.

Uk TT with 21 and 0 ncb was only 1560 fully comp with business class 1 from elephant

sz or tt import were both 2600ish with business use... big difference there

also tried lancaster by phoning rather than a quick quote, policy was £3300 with business use for a uk tt, same without business use, wouldnt do an import

sky wudnt quote me as they need at least 1yr ncb for me, so going to be a toss up between a Uk twin turbo, or a jap sz

1500 thru elephant is very reasonable i thought, but the uk car prices are a lot more than the jap ones these days right

how much is a decent twin turbo uk car going for these days. I presume its quite pricey as there weren;t many uk ones made right.

nonetheless insurance wise uk tt is looking pretty good...which is a shock comapred to the NA lol..

how much is a decent twin turbo uk car going for these days. I presume its quite pricey as there weren;t many uk ones made right.

nonetheless insurance wise uk tt is looking pretty good...which is a shock comapred to the NA lol..

One ebay today was about 9k.

People think they're worth a lot more than they actually are. Dealers trade them for about 5k or less and hope to find someone gullible enough (sorry, passionate enough) to buy one at 10k.

As with everything there's good and very very bad. At least you should be guaranteed on the history on a well kept and documented UK example...but prepared to wait a while and look at a few.

Yeah i live in Hill St just further on from ur m8s FTO.

A UK spec is a good idea. Cheaper insurance, bigger turbos, bigger brakes, extra electronics and full leather interior. Some will have a full toyota service history. But i have never seen a low mileage one. The engineering of the supra is absolutely ingenious with very few things likely to fail.

I think you should try other car insurances. I think if you find one thats 10yrs + you can prob get a quote for classic cars.

Yeah, i live on the southside....and drive a blue one. There are a few other glasgow supras about. A very lary orange one ;) (supratoy on here) a white one a big power silver one and a couple of late spec ones that I can think of.

With a full tank I aim for 270miles and I have seen 300miles.

I dont think there are any Scottish meets arranged but keep your eye out.

To comment on the "day care" side of things, Id say best if you had another car....anything cheap. Not just for the petrol but all the bits that get worn out as the miles go on.

hey just noticed ur post there snooze, yea wasnt sure what class of insurance i need to be looking for to cover me, i think business class 1 was the next step up from social, dom and commuting. should cover me ok.

gazzawu, how old are you and have u got any no claims. How much did you get your insurance for with elephant. The only thing im thinking is that there aernt that many uk cars about, so too find one i like for a good price is unlikely. Like you see some sz's these days going for 4-5kish, then a uk tt one like 9kish as your saying. SOme decisions need to be made i think.

WIth the help of an importer like jurgen i could probably import in a really nice supra that has the bits i want and save a few £££. Think i need to do some more phoning around to see if i can get any cheaper quotes on the import front. If i cant then i'll look into the uk cars, but right now they seem a bit pricey and scare compared to the imported ones.

However insurance wise the imports sz or tt are the same, so either or for me is fine. Though by the time it comes to buying, ithink the tt might become more tempting. Insurance is a funny game though, so just need to look more into it and should hopefulyl give me some more answers. :)

I'm 23, white female and I can't get insured on even a N/A for less than £3000 so wait till your 25. Unless your driver of the year and have taken a +pass course I wouldn't waste your money.

I was being lazy, couldn't be bothered reading all of that first post so apologies if this information is worthless cr!p. x

haha dont worry about it, its late so i'll let you of :)

just to fill u in so far got a uk tt quote for 1500 fully comp, which is good. The imports na and tt was £2.5k, but thats with 0years no claims. Gonna fone around tom to see what difference it wud be if i had 1yrs no claims etc,

However i think id be prepared to pay the 2kish, as even with an audi a3 as my car, insurance was like 1700, so i think id rather pay the extra and get the supra..but got plenty of time before i buy anyway, so just doing some research right now :)