The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Car won't start, alarm?

Nick

Just tried to start the car and it's not happening.

First turn of the key resulted in one very slow turn over and then that was it.  Second try all I got was a rapid and very loud clicking coming from under the bonnet.

The car was serviced a couple of weeks ago and the battery was changed as part of the service as it had a dead cell.  I've checked the battery Voltage and it's fine, as are all the fuses.

After trying to turn it over the alarm (Meta) churps twice.

I last used the car yesterday and there wasn't any problems except the turn over on start up did feel a little more sluggish than usual

Could it be the alarm?  Any ideas welcome....!

Does the META (which I have as well) LED's stop flashing when you insert the immobilser key (rather than using the key-fob)?

Do you here the click of the relay when the immobilser is deactivated?

I had a spate of problems with mine and it was done to me hitting the button and jumping in and turning the ignition or too quick.

Once I'd done this it was stuck immobilised. I had to leave it to fully arm the car again (about 30s) before attempting again.

Then it started. A few times I thought it was a dead battery but turned out to be me being to quick for the immobiliser.

Also check the 120A fuse in the engine compartment fuse box. It's the one that's for the alternator. Mine went (dropped a spanner and shorted the alternator lead (which I had off at the time) to the engine), bad set of events really.

Anyway this made my META chirp as if it was just setting up for the first time whenever I turned the ignition switch on.

What was happening was the META was only getting power when I turned the ignition switch to ON. In the OFF position it was like disconnecting the battery. Turn the ignition back on and it chirped away setting up.

Check all abovious things. If it worked yesterday and not today chances are it's just something simple and quick to fix. (Crossed fingers)

Regards

Pete

I've just spoken to a mate and he pointed out that even though the battery is nearly 12V it doesn't mean that it's ok.

He's coming round shortly with a jump pack (no jokes to flying men please...!) so we're see if it is the battery, probably is.  Odd though, it's brand new.  Maybe I have a leak to earth somewhere....

Right.

120A fuse is ok.

Car "clicks" when imobliser light is off so I'm not being too quick.  The indicator lights also flash after trying to turn it over.

When I try and lock the car I have to press the button twice as the first time the doors remain unlocked.  Alarm doesn't seem to remember what state it was in before.

Looks like the battery, know for sure when I get a jump pack on there.

Thanks Pete and Flip.

I have the meta on mine, and I run my battery down on a regular basis and thats exactly the same problem I get, it will click away quite happily but just doesnt have enough power to start. I have a portable jump start that I use for such occassions.

Its also worth checked the battery terminals to make sure they are done up nice and tight as trying to turnover a 3.0 engine takes a bit of juice.

I have to admit I have had zero problems with my Meta alarm which has been quite surprising considering its a reasonable cheap unit.

JB

Nick,

Just a word of warning, I once replaced a dead battery with a brand new Heavy Duty battery. Only after several more days did it become obvious that this new battery already had a short in it, wouldn't hold any charge at all.

Definetely sounds like the battery is the likely cause, or the clamps!!!!

Good luck

This is very common for us, working with cars and the doors open all day often flattens the battery.

The noise you are hearing is the starter solenoid engaging, then, the starter motor pulls loads of power from the battery, (which, in this case, the battery does not have), and the solenoid disengages. Then the process starts again. This process happens vary quickly, hence the loud clicking noise you are getting.

Get the battery checked. Are you sure that the door was closed properly? If it was only closed on the first latch, the interior light would have been held on and could have flattened your battery.

Good luck

I took the car to the local garage today and watched whilst they checked it, turns out one of the cells was duff.

I've just fitted a new one and everythings sweet.

Top description Matt, cheers.  I wondered what the clicking noise was...

Thanks for your help everyone.