The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Replacing pads on J spec front brakes

Steve Cargill

I've got some nice new ENC GreenStuff pads to put on the front (J spec calipers).  I've had a look around and can't find any articals about these brakes, is there anything I should be aware of with these (service kits, greasing etc) , or is it the normal process below:-

a) wheels off

b) find the obvious big long bolt that holds the caliper on and remove it

c) lift the caliper off

d) take out the old pads

e) push the pistons in (keeping an eye on the resivour :) )

f) new pads on and bold it all back together

g) finish off with a nice bleed for good measure.

My only concern is one of my metal valve caps appears to have siezed on and there is a lot of crystaline muck over it and part of one caliper.  I had the caps off and cleaned the wheels for TIC, so it's happened very quickly.  Hope there is nothing wrong with the caliper.

Quote: from Phil Wall on 11:12 pm on Jan. 24, 2002[br]Toyota do a kit to referb the calipers, new seals etc, might be worth doing.

Phil, is it a difficult job or requires special tools?  I was possibly going to take them off and give them a bit of a clean up anyway.  Have you got a part number and I'll give Toyota a ring tomorrow and see if they have them in.

Thanks,

All you need are tools to take the caliper apart, no special tools required, a good tool kit will have all you need.  Not done a Supra caliper before but it can't be that different from others I have done.

Just keep everything really clean.

04902 - 2 is the number shown, but that is not a full part number, it is described as mentenance kit- brake.   There are three kits on the  same number -  1 master cylinder  kit, 2 fronts, 3 rears.

You will have to do the standard Toyota numbers thing to get the kit.

I can recommend the worthiness of doing the caliper overhaul kit thing.

I got my '95 UK front calipers overhauled with the Toyota kit and it worked a treat.    Several of the pistons were sticking and were not actually doing anything much at all and the overhaul kit seems to have sorted that and so the car stops great now.        

Quote: from Phil Wall on 9:08 pm on Jan. 27, 2002[br]

04902 - 2 is the number shown, but that is not a full part number, it is described as mentenance kit- brake.   There are three kits on the  same number -  1 master cylinder  kit, 2 fronts, 3 rears.

You will have to do the standard Toyota numbers thing to get the kit.

Part number 00479-14120, £37 inc VAT, none in the country, 2-3 weeks to order in.  Looks like I'll leave it for the moment as I need to get the pads on pretty quickly :(

Thanks.

Guest Martin F

2-3 Weeks!!!!!

I thought all non-stock parts came from a big distribution centre in Holland or Belgium and generally took 2-3 days, not weeks.

May be worth putting in a phone call to another Toyota dealer, quoting the part number.

I've just fitted the pads, they went on easily, but one of the pistons was pretty stiff to get back in.

I noticed my fluid is looking old, so that's forced the issue for a full fluid change soon.  Probably do the calipers if/when I change the hoses.

The EBC pads don't have backing plates in them.  The old pads I took off did, but they appear to be bonded on and wouldn't come off.

I've fitted then EBC pads as is, is this correct?

(Edited by Steve Cargill at 9:01 am on Jan. 29, 2002)