The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Intercooler cleaning

Alex

Had my front off the other day to test fit another one. Whist it was off I pulled out the SMIC (Stock Intercooler) and had a peak inside - didn't really know what the innards of an intercooler looked like.

I saw there was some oil on some of the elements, so I flushed it out (used brake cleaning fluid as it evapourates and is a degreasent). Quite a lot of oil came out and probably still more could have come out.

Removing the oil can only have helped the intercooler to work more effectively. Just thought I'd let you all know - you may wish to consider it next time you have the nose off of your car.

The oil is normal - just off of the turbo's - probably built up over 8 or 9 years of use.

Guest Mycroft

Dry cleaning fluid is best for this refurb as it removes out the 'Gum' that builds up over time. you have to decide 'where' to stop as it can clean right down to the Aluminium oxide on the elements.

It is a good thing to do every year, you should also remove the 'pipes' and wash them in soapy water and then dry them.

It is a fact that after a year or so you lose about 2% efficiency through this build-up so after 5 years you lose 10% efficiency which means about 4% in real power terms thats 12/13hp!!! There is a benefit in throttle response and you will notice your tick-over will have risen after this 'spring clean'.

My IC system is cleaned every year in this manner.

If you have a 'line of oil' when you remove the rubber pipe just down-wind of the 'conjoining alloy pipe then you are in the first stages of bearing failure and you had better start saving, they are very slow to let go, so you cannot say just when they will go but let go they will, fairly soon.

Quote: from TRL Performance on 7:03 am on Jan. 31, 2002[br]Excuse my ignorance but what is a typical product name for a "dry cleaning fluid" ?

Can you get this from normal motorfactors.

I'll soon be measuring the efficiency of my IC and I may do this before cleaning, after cleaning and then when new FMIC fitted.

Cheers

Pete

Dry cleaning fluid and brake cleaner used to be exactly the same chemical, but good old European legislation meant brake cleaner became adulterated to something less ozone unfriendly. It's still an excellent degreaser but I prefer using something like Jizer and hot water (cheaper).

Yes, both brake cleaner and Jizer or similar water soluble degreaser are available frm Motor Factors.

Good set of tests, please let us know what you find!

Guest Mycroft

Dry cleaning fluid is found in three main variants though you would be hard pushed to find anything but the latter, but I have some trichlorethylene, and that is really fierce.

The three are;

carbon tetrachloride

trichlorethylene

perchlorethylene (perc).

Cellulose thinners from any 'Brewers' decorating shop will do just fine also but it is very corrosive to plastic and if you do the IC with it you MUST dry the thing out thoroughly as the ABS used in the main pipework is VERY susceptable to this chemical and will perforate quite easily.