The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Coolant loss .....

Darren S

Hi,

I'm aware of a slight coolant leak on the Supra I'm buying very soon and as there are no visible leaks we believe the most likely cause is a leaking water pump. When we take it off we expect to see the usual white residue on the back. Is anyone aware of a repair kit for these or is it purely a replacement job? Also, anyone have an idea of where to get one for the best price?

Cheers

I think Pete Betts (TRL Performance) had his water pump fail so he might be able to comment on what it looked like and whether it was serviceable.

I also found that my rad cap had deteriorated so far that it no longer worked properly and so the coolant was bubbling out of the expansion tank, so take you rad cap off and check that the spring is still working and that the rubber seals have not perished.

JB

receiving you loud and clear....

Yep my pump went. I think due to me being silly and changing the engine coolant for just an antifreeze mix and distilled water and NOT using the approved coolant from Toyota that has a lubricant as well :-(

Not sure but I was getting a loss of water in my rad which eventually lead to it pissing out of the back of the pump seals.

Took it to Toyota who replaced the whole pump unit (you can't just get the seals or bearings etc it's a single unit now :-(

Total cost was about £340 (I forget) and that was with Toyota Labour and parts and took about 4 days to get a pump in.

Pump was expensive at £120+ and book time of 4Hours labour. That's all they could charge as that's what Toyota UK states in their repair manual. IT took them well over 5 to actually do it.

I also got the cam belt changed at the same time as it has to come off to get at the pump. So in effect I got that labour free, just the cost of the belt.

I thought this very reasonable as at the time I could only drive it about 2 miles before the water got dangerously low so I couldn't drive to someone like Leon or Chris it had to be local.

There isn't any way of inspecting it really (apart from feeling around it for water or looking for rusty brown coloured water spray around the area of the pump.) By the time you taken the car apart to get to it you may as well replace the thing!

I've heard of some places just swapping out the internals from a new pump and the old which saves labour as none of the cam belt or stuff has to be removed. But for the money I would save and the fact I'd have to buy a complete pump anyway I decided to replace the whole thing and even the guy at Toyota said that he couldn't believe the price he'd have to charge as he knew dam well it would take 30% longer to do.

I hope it's not the pump but look for signs of water spray inside the engine bay and pray its just a split pipe.

Pete

Great info Pete thank you. No other leaks are visible so the pump seems most likely and the prices you've quoted seem about the same too. As for the cambelt, definetely doing that at the same time, which is lucky really 'cos it's also due its 63k service.

Thanks again