The mkiv Supra Owners Club

MKiv Technical

rayg

Hello boys, first try at this so be gentle with me... From the sound of things its hard to find new glass headlights.....I ordered one and it arrived in 3 working days....incredible price...just over £100 + vat and you could get a discount on this.....I have asked if they would give club members a discount and they are considering it. Well next question...who knows how to fit one (driver side UK TT) can anyone point me in the right direction or email me with details. That's the good news.....yesterday some plank ran into the back of me in the damp, three cheers for new discs and pads and ABS, he didn't stop.....bounced off me but slight damage to rear plastic bumber....going in to be fixed or replaced...Cheers Ray member 84

Hi Brad, RRG Toyota, Salford Quays. £123....then I sweet talked him into 15% discount...£105 + vat. I have bought a few things off him, through a contact but I said he could get the company a lot of increased business, if he could get us all a discount. He seemed serious and said he will get back to me....hope he does. Anyway I will contact him next week, to see what he says. Don't want to frighten him with an order for every headlight he can get his hands on....but then... that is the general idea. I will contact you next week ro sooner if you know how to fit em........time for the pub......Ray

Salford Quays eh.. I was born in Salford, Hope Hospital. Lived there for 21 years.

Great price mate. IU'm sure the rest of the lads will be interested in your little scoop. As regards fitting, I'm sure someone will come to your aid before the nights out.

Cheers,

you dont say if its nearside or offside. The nearside one is easy to get out as the bolts are simple to get to, the offside one is a bugger as the airfilter box is in the way. I had to use most of the extension bits from my socket kit just to get the socket on to the nut but if you keep trying it will eventually come off.

Is yours a UK spec or import? 1 glass headlamp will look a little strange up against 1 plastic one.

JB

nope...I even rechecked the post to see if it said nearside or offside....I really must give up one of my hobbies....

Well if its the drivers side I found it easier to take the cover off the airbox and remove the airfilter element, others found it even easier to take the whole airbox out but Im too lazy to do that.

JB

This is a real find, as I recall a discussion a few months back when Justin( I think )was trying to get a deal on UK lamps. The information from Toyota was - they were not making any more glass lamps and there was no stock in the country.  It is good to know that information from the manufacturer is so reliable.

Quote: from Phil Wall on 6:22 pm on Feb. 2, 2002[br]This is a real find, as I recall a discussion a few months back when Justin( I think )was trying to get a deal on UK lamps. The information from Toyota was - they were not making any more glass lamps and there was no stock in the country.  It is good to know that information from the manufacturer is so reliable.

Phil, that was me after the garage crashed mine.  I got them to order UK headlights, when they came in they were plastic.  After much digging in transpired that the new spec was plastic, no more glass.  Deduction being that as they hadn't made the UK car since '96, why make a special batch when the J spec ones would fit!

Look like someone may have stumbled across a box at the back of a warehouse somewhere :)

I will contact the person who got me the glass headlight (3 days from order to delivery and ask him about more headlights and discount and if he has any objection to me supplying his name on the web site, then you can talk direct to him. He has accepted orders from me with a credit card number, so I will check that out as well. Hope this is not just a lucky one off. This club really does work for everyone. Thanks for the advice on the fitting, I will have a go tomorrow.

Ray

Youv'e got me worried phil. I've tapped it, prod it, smelt it, and I can't tell a tink from a tunk. It looks like glass, shines like glass, it came without condensation......by God I think it is glass!

PS. all this is a stalling game till I can get a bank loan and buy the whole stock and sell em on by auction (just joking). Branners, how do you add an attachment to this site. I could have put the box info it came in on the site so everyone could view the number and other info...I'll send an email to repliers

Go and try to fit it now

Phill,

I seemed to remember that the part number for glass and plastic were the same since they 'discontinued' the glass. This was the problem Justin had I think, he thought that he had a good deal for us on glass, when infact they were plastic with the same part No. !!

So I'm not sure that the part No is 100% guarantee of glass.

PAUL.

Phill,

I seemed to remember that the part number for glass and plastic were the same since they 'discontinued' the glass. This was the problem Justin had I think, he thought that he had a good deal for us on glass, when infact they were plastic with the same part No. !!

So I'm not sure that the part No is 100% guarantee of glass.

PAUL.

BUGGER! Don't know what happened here! Ignore this, it's the sme as the one B4. :biggrin:

(Edited by Paul at 1:08 pm on Feb. 3, 2002)

Okay boys.....sing along, .......I got a brand new shiny glass headlight.....you got a misty beam, .....I got a brand new shiny glass headlight, looks like a new machine.  Yep its glass, I followed the advice and used a miniture socket, ratchet and UJ plus 10mm socket. Took 35 minutes start to finish. Only moved air box front and filter (I'm lazy too) Small tip - put a small blob of bluetack in the socket when undoing/tightening the awkward bottom nut (save it falling into a block hole) My old unit had an egg cup of water in it. Tried the tip on removing the 2 screws from the hatch bumpstops (heat them up and use phillips, didn't work) I'll have to get a mate to drill them out, boy are they tight, heads are goosed now on 2 of them...bummer...anyone any easier suggestions...I'm all ears...

Ray,

Nice song mate! It's not that we don't believe you, it's just that some of us have been chasing uk glass ones for ages, so lets hope you ain't got the last one in existance.

On the subject of the 'blue tack', good idea cause I've still got a socket plus extension bar lurking somewhere in the inner wing :biggrin: all because I didn't do this.

Cheers, Paul.

All fitted, 35 minutes. Only removed front air box and filter. Used miniture ratchet, 10mm socket and UJ. Fitted small bit of bluetack into socket to stop nut falling into black hole. Next job... messed up 2 of the screws in hatchback bump stops, even though I heated then up and used a good quality Phillips screwdriver. Anyone got any iedeas before getting a mate to drill and draw them out.....sent this once today, must have clicked wrong button..........end with a sing along.....

Iv'e got a brand new shiny glass headlight, youv'e got a steamed up beam...............Iv'e got a brand new shiny glass headlight, looks like a new machine......smug eh !............maybe tomorrow I can sort out a good deal for everyone.