The mkiv Supra Owners Club

A mate wants to race my Supra on a CBR600

Green Peace

Don't do a standing start and just pick a race with some bends in it, if you can drive the car properly you won't have anything to worry about. I've raced serious bikes down country lanes (in my last, less powerful car) and was all over them to the point where it's not actually funny (or safe)...

Seriously though, if it's a good mate and he is a novice, probably best not to race "in anger" as he could come off much worse for wear :(

Don't do a standing start and just pick a race with some bends in it, if you can drive the car properly you won't have anything to worry about. I've raced serious bikes down country lanes (in my last, less powerful car) and was all over them to the point where it's not actually funny (or safe)...

Seriously though, if it's a good mate and he is a novice, probably best not to race "in anger" as he could come off much worse for wear :(

Did you not see Fifth Gear this week, car vs bike on track, car being a proper track orientated Westfield XTR - the car won by tenths of a second.

Bikes are perfectly capable of corning as fast as cars ;)

yeah ok in perfect conditions with a superbike on a suitably flat track, with a "gifted" rider and nothing to catch you out!

in reality many or all of those are not the case and on the roads with uneven surfaces, varying grip and limited space to lean properly it can be very very different...

PS: Yes I did see it, funny how the bike was riden by a gifted rider, the car by VHB (and the car still won) - now change the rider/driver around and try again to get a clearer picture...

Did you not see Fifth Gear this week, car vs bike on track, car being a proper track orientated Westfield XTR - the car won by tenths of a second.

I ride an R1 very fast, and there is no way I can keep with my mates GTR round corners.... and yes im a capable rider.

i beg to differ mate but the record for a car on the ring is nearly a minute faster than for a bike

Sorry. Forgot. Bikes are crap.

Still, I'd take my bike over any car I've ever owned. So a car *might* be faster, but only till you hit the first queue - then adios amigos! :p

you just like dressin in leather :eyebrows:

i love motorbikes but after what happened to a few people i know, don't think i'd ever get one

I ride bikes and have done for 23 years and I hate to admit it but no matter which bike I have ridden or owned (which include the RSV R and 916) one cannot get the power down on the road hard enough whilst cornering to keep up with a well sorted high performance sports car. And beleive me Ive tried!

But indeed - bike vs cars is a stupid argument, started off by a very stupid person who won't last long on a bike if the first thing he wants to do is start racing supras :rolleyes:

Agreed

Getting a CBR600 for your first bike isn't exactly clever, but then wanting to race a supra having no riding experience is just downright silly.

There's a reason riders are known as 'donors' in hospitals y'know

There's a reason riders are known as 'donors' in hospitals y'know

:( thats a very sad thought...

Agreed though, it's a silly argument to have really. They are different and offer different strengths and weaknesses. I would imagine however if you listed all the strenghts and weaknesses out objectively, the car would look pretty favourable at the end of the day - so if I bike can beat it under particular circumstances who cares. You pay the price on a bike everytime you ride it, that price is the exceptional risk you're taking.