The mkiv Supra Owners Club

LED rear light and dash conversion

Lucifer

Hello,

I am in discussion with an electronics company to provide taillights and dash conversions for the Supra.

Just gauging interest at the moment :

Rear Lights

All lights converted to a round string of Very high power LED's

Fog lamp conversion for J-Specs easily added.

Dash Kits

Complete Dash kit for DIY or full fitting.

Color change Kit available so you can change your dash color from, white - blue- green- red etc on the fly with a switch.

Can you guys give me some idea if you would be interested in this and what sort of price you might be interestedin paying.

Cheers.

Martin

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd be interested, as for price, LEDs don't cost much so it would have to depend what else they had to come with - if it's just a load of LEDs and some instructions at an inflated price I'd not buy it out of principle, even if it did look cool.

I'm probably more interested in the rear light that the dash kit, as a) they look seriously cool and I love the on/off-ness of them, and b) there are already dash kits & instructions on how to DIY the dash lights available from someone very helpful on here :)

Ok so what sort of prices?

The DIY kit would just be a collection of the Correct and lables LED's with Fitting instructions.

Some people find this helpful to have all the right bits delivered to them, and of good quality. Ie A single turbo kit.. I knwo I can buy all the bits but Ide much rather buy all the rights bits that work together!

I was thinking ITRO £50 for the DIY kit, £150 For it fitted for the Dash.

Rear cluster again DIY kit approx £99 and fitted (exchange) £200

This is only a ball park fig, I need to speak to the company to get one fabbed up and see what is involved. Dont forget of course you are paying for the R&D into this not just a collection of LED's!

Thanks.

Martin

£50 sounds like a good deal for the DIY kit if it was top quality (else noone will buy it) and you're talking about all the lights - i.e. aircon, blowers, elec window switch, door lock etc etc not just the instrument panel?

£100 for the rears... hmmm maybe, certianly no more.

I guess there is more R&D to do for the rears as the dash kits instructions are already online ;) Not sure how they'll manage the different colours tho? They're probably v bright (more money) too at a guess?

Would be keen for rears. Maybe it could be combined with a clear rear cluster option?

Thats a good idea.... will look into this after we have solid fabs and prices

£50 sounds like a good deal for the DIY kit if it was top quality (else noone will buy it) and you're talking about all the lights - i.e. aircon, blowers, elec window switch, door lock etc etc not just the instrument panel?

£100 for the rears... hmmm maybe, certianly no more.

I guess there is more R&D to do for the rears as the dash kits instructions are already online ;) Not sure how they'll manage the different colours tho? They're probably v bright (more money) too at a guess?

It would go without saying the kit would be the best quality, yes they would be the new 650 kHz,1µA LED.

The differnt colors - I have a prototype here... and boy this is cool.. if you like that sort of thing!

i have a dash conversion using RGB led's, how ever trying to get it all to fint inside the heater control pannel is somewhat of a task as there aint much room.. so looking at using tri-color LED, assuming i can get them in 3mm form (this will still require a few mod to be carried out on the circuit board), but this is on hold as I'm working on a few other things first ;) all of which are now prototype and in my supe :D:);)

TBH, its not wortht the R&D for such a small market I would think, however the instructions are on the net somewhere, inc full wiring diagram.

But I'm not convinced the dash conversion market would be much bigger. Remember that's only 20 who would buy the active spoiler switch now, no estimate of future sales. And anyone who wants a dash conversion has had a couple of options for at least 18 months already, suggesting that a lot of potential customers for this have already had it done. No one has done the manual active spoiler switch...

LED lights:

TBH I'm not sure about this, followed a brand new 650ci into work today and the lights on it are cool! Sidelights there's a row of LEDs lit and it kind of 'melts' into the rest of the cluster, then when they brake the whole thing lights up!!

But on a Supra? I know it's been done and it looks ok I just think I'd rather keep the standard 'big blob' lighting style, it seems to suit the car more - I don't want to pretend it's a new car I like people knowing they've been beaten by a clapped out 9 year old!!!

I would like clear indicators and a fog light conversion though! :p

I would be interested in the rear lights but would like to see the old style lights modified not the face lifts as I think the old ones look much better. I don't like the grey boarder on the face lifts.

Also be interested in the dash but from what I'm hearing this can already be done quite easily now.

*** UPDATE ***

Just received a product demo from the company... Frikin hell its good!

The demo was for the Dash conversion and features:-

White, Blue, Red, Green Dash and the turn of a knob

Full Brightness control

New LED technology that is in credibly bright (ie blinding bright if you so wish)

Just waiting on teh Rear clusters to be doen for demo.

** PLease note, the company will NOT supply a DIY kit as they say people mess it up and then blame them for parts not working, so this will be a Fitted service only.

Martin

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. You might also be interested in our Guidelines, Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.