The mkiv Supra Owners Club

'96 Supra won't start, dash doesn't look right ...

Probby

Hi folks, 

Figured it wouldn't take long before I ended up posting in here. LIkely all my own fault ... 

So I've been working through a few things with my new purchase, namely the lack of stereo and removing tons of aftermarket gauges and the like. As such I've had all the dash panels out, passenger footwell plugs and a bunch of other stuff. 

Put it all back in and gone to start the car, I hear a whine from the front when I put it in accessory (assume this is the vents?) turn the key, starter fires but engine doesn't even attempt to start. 

I've noticed that on the left hand side of the dash (at the top) I get the following lights -

• Seatbelt
  • Airbag
  • Door open

On the right side I get 

• ABS
  • (eventually) Engine oil temp (The yellow light) 

I don't get 

• CEL
  • Oil Pressure

As such I've tried the diagnostics trick (paper clip in TE1 E1) and I don't see anything (I imagine this ie because I don't have a CEL) 

I've double checked all of the plugs I moved and I've put everything back as far as I can see. All my dash backlights etc work and all the buttons do to. I've also checked all the fuses, these seem ok too. 

Any thoughts ? I've not driven the car enough to know all of it's regular noises but I figured I should hear a fuel pump out back, I don't ? 

It's been sat a few weeks so sincerely hoping the ECU hasn't taken a dump 😞

Any help greatfuly recieved. 

So in the cold light of day I've seen whats happened. The fuel cut defender was fed off I think ign wire for the ECU and the wire wasn't in great shape (wire taps) I've cut it and soldered it properly and it's all burst back in to life. I must have distrurbed it rooting around when I was fixing the stereo issue in the left hand foot well. 

Wire taps, lucas crimps and tape should be banned. 

Just for anyone who ever has the same issue, all of those lights should come on before the car starts, then go out. Half of them were missing when the ECU wasn't powering up. Should have all of the snow/trac/lights too. 

Not knowing the car all that well didn't help - but I know it a bit better now 🙂

• Like 1