The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Discontinued OEM Leather Steering Wheel - heading for FB?

rider

I spent probably 25 hours over a two week period refurbishing a leather steering wheel a while back (pre-facelift, no airbag) with the intention of fitting it onto my car that has the cheaper composite OE wheel at the moment, but I just haven't got around to fitting it and its just sitting as a piece of art under my TV. You can still buy the composite wheels new from Toyota for £1,500 including the horn boss. The leather ones are all gone but cost well North of £2k with the horn boss. So I'm thinking of just putting it onto FB but wondering where to pitch it, I'm thinking of edging towards £1,000 for a not fussed if it actually sells or doesn't. I've seen untouched and very tired OEM steering wheels advertised for over US$1k States side. I assume these must be off imports as I'm pretty sure all USDM cars had airbag wheels.

I could enjoy the feel of stitched leather and sell my original composite wheel for a few £hundred or just sell this leather wheel for a few more £hundred. Decisions, decisions. It was MOT day today so that's why I was looking at the wheel sitting under the TV wondering whether to fit it before taking it down for its test. The answer was not yet.

I know if I was advertising it on the forum a good few £hundred would probably be regarded as too expensive, but I figure my labour is valuable and prices are invariably higher on eBay and FB. If people think £1k is unobtainable/dreaming then I'll consider focussing on my first though which was to sell the composite wheel after fitting this one - sometime. I do like the feel of the leather wheel, it'd be a classy seamless upgrade on my car.

So many little jobs to get to, I still have an OEM set of alloys to get to grips with. That's a definite for this Winter refurb job that is going to get done.

IMG-20200525-WA0000.jpeg.545d0f5cb4546a37523cadf094e29e5b.jpeg

IMG-20200527-WA0003.jpeg.0845fa397df7cb6c9e4e4cad1e8220e8.jpeg