The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Door won't unlock with fob

Brian_C1

Bear with me on this one, as there is a couple of scenarios where this does and doesn't work.

Basically I've a Clifford alarm installed that was working fine for about 3 months, then it wouldn't unlock with the fob but would lock fine. I could disarm the Clifford with the fob and manually open the door to get it. You can hear the relay/actuator clicking when locking but nothing when unlocking.

Guys who installed the alarm were miles away and wouldn't look at it without a bill even though they had just installed it. So brought it to another more local installer to check it out, couldn't see anything wrong from the Clifford side of things.

Bit of research here on the forum, showed it may the door control module in the behind the air vent/glove box area. Bought a used one, plugged it in, still the exact same.

There is one scenario where the fob seems to work as expected but only in this sequence while car is locked.

-Unlock door manually with key

-Disarm clifford

-Open the door

-Now with the door open (not unlocked actually open) after following this sequence the doors (driver and passenger) will lock and unlock as expected from the fob. If you close the door again they won't, and if you disarm the clifford first then manually unlock and open the door and try lock and unlock it won't work, you must manually unlock the door with the key before disarming the clifford.

Does anyone have any ideas what other relay, sensors, actuators or control modules could be causing this?

Yeah I'd see if the switch operates the locks as Ric said, it could be the case that the new (used) module you put in also went bad. The one in my NA gets temperamental in the winter if I don't drive it for a few days, but after a drive or two and in weather above freezing I have no issues. Using the switch on the door to operate the locks instead of the fob always confirms that it's the module that's the issue, rather than my fob. 

Sorry about delay in replying. 

Doesn't exactly work with the door open from the fob. Only in the scenario I mentioned in the original post. 

Unlock door manually then disarm immobiliser with the fob and open door. 

Then it'll lock/unlock as normal from the fob or the switch on the door. If you disarm first and then manually unlock and open the door it won't unlock from the fob/switch just lock once from the unlocked position. 

This hasn't been a intermittent issue, it was working one day and not the next and hasn't worked since then almost a year ago. 

It's possible the control module I got is faulty in the same way, I thought it might be unlikely since they can fail differently and show different symptoms but definitely possible 

Some further information I've figured today, unlocking with the key manually also doesn't trigger the central locking when unlocking i.e it won't unlock the passenger door. 

But if I manually unlock/lock with the key on the passenger door it will trigger the central locking and lock/unlock the drivers door.