The mkiv Supra Owners Club

How To Get T.T. Transmission Shimmed ***

Bring me a TT box, new strainer & small tube of Loctite Grey 5660. (Plus an A650E pan if you want the Big Sump Mod too?)

I'll shim-up the actuators & give it a full inspection & service whilst you pass me the spanners

The gratuity of £50 includes lifetime 24/7 tech back-up by means of :telephone: talking in old-money on a telephone

PLEASE :read: READ

Automatic transmissions require respect

A transmission stored without torque-converter with open & unprotected oil ways, will be pot-luck good or bad?

First things to do when you collect your pre mostly unloved box

PLEASE squib WD40 onto sump bolts open threads in alloy casting, these little bolts

often seize-in & can take longer to get out or break off and repair than the job you came for.

Please drain sump & clean exterior of transmission before you come.

Alternatively, you could give me £100 to do this whilst you play with your phone? :shrug:

After first checking that the little sump bolts are not seized to the casting, I now have a 3/8" drive impact gun, this handy & lightweight lithium battery powered tool whizzes out the 19 sump, 3 strainer and/or 15 N/A - 18 T.T. valve-body bolts and has a transmission apart in less time than it takes for you to make me a cup of tea. :)

My favourite toy, loaded with a 12 point 10mm deep socket. :)

attachment.php?attachmentid=221747&d=1502465461

Now that I have the ultimate undooer, I have searched around and found myself the ultimate dooerupper. :D

This thing armed with a shallow throat-ed 12 point 10mm 3/8" deep socket is the perfect tool to both locate the little bolts in their holes and to spin up the slack ready for the torque wrench.

attachment.php?attachmentid=221820&d=1502981141

For those who would like their transmission shimming without having to remove it from the car.

I have made a set of Special Service Tools, bought a huge drip tray and developed a system that allows a cripple aided by a spannerlexic to rebuild A340E hydraulics from underneath.

You need to; safely & in this order; on a level hard surface get the car up onto 4 axle stands, drain the sump and get me to it.

Note: I will require the use of your OE Supra jack and 2 house bricks. (Please have these required SST's to hand)

If this option is preferable to removing the transmission and bringing it to me, you get the added bonus of a review of the ATF coolant system.

Getting to you and shimming a box from underneath is a 10x+ larger job for me, nevertheless, I charge no more for this.

However, I don't have transport and you must get me to it. :shrug:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. You might also be interested in our Guidelines, Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.