The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Lucas SS

Lucas SS is an ATF additive that claims to lubricate sticking valves, stop bands slipping and stop most oil leaks, which can only be good things for a 20-years old transmission.

However, my interest in this stuff is because it raises the viscosity of ATF, which in turn raises the oil pressure which in turn clamps the clutches together stronger.

Think of it as Wynns or STP for transmissions.

This stuff is highly viscous and best diluted with ATF which makes it easier to pour in.

However, should you prefer to spend an hour dribbling it down the spout, do it with the engine running, which will dilute this thick stuff and prevent a neat 'slug' of it getting sucked into small fluid passages.

I highly recommend using this in Supra automatic transmissions.

• 2 years later...

WARNING

Before using this stuff...............

Please Turn Your Brain On!

If this is added "neat" to a cold and/or stationary transmission, it stays in a huge snotty-slug which gets pumped into the valve-body and clogs it up.

I have now come across two boxes that have suffered this self-inflicted fate.

For a full-flush, dilute amongst total volume of ATF before adding.

For a partial-flush, dilute 50/50-ish and add with engine running.

Nevertheless, if you couldn't find the On Switch for your brain, please don't bring your £u(kwit-ted up box to me!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. You might also be interested in our Guidelines, Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.