The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Suitable Propshaft for Soarer Hybrid Gearbox

There has been some discussion as to whether or not there are standard propshaft components that can be used when installing the hybrid Supra TT gearbox into a MkIII Soarer. With previous installations custom rear sections have been manufactured to get around the problem that the Supra propshaft is too short.

The Soarer 2JZGE and 1JZGTE propshafts are no good because the rear section has the female spline. However the rear section of the Soarer 1UZFE V8 propshaft mates directly with the front end of the Supra TT propshaft. I have checked the lengths from the bellhousing to the centre bearing and have measured the rear sections, see below.

attachment.php?attachmentid=201511

attachment.php?attachmentid=201512

The difference in length is almost exactly the same as the difference in wheelbase so the answer for hybrid gearbox fitment in the Soarer is Supra TT front prop with Soarer V8 rear prop.

Thank you for that Chris. :)

However, I tried using a V8 prop rear section on Neil's Soarer Hybrid 1J build and found it to be an inch short?

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?270287-A340-A343-Hybrid&p=3409501&viewfull=1#post3409501

From the top.

1. N/A auto - small case diff - small diff flange

2. 6MT - diff case size unknown - large diff flange

3. TT 4AT - diff case size unknown - large diff flange

4. SC430 - small case diff - small diff flange

(Prop rear sections are around 1"? differen tin length for small case and large case diffs)

attachment.php?attachmentid=152280&d=1337987955

The prop was bought online and I have no way of confirming the exact details of it's origin.

Please confirm the fit when you fit it.

Thank you.

Have read through the entire linked thread very carefully David and it seems to me that Neil tried an SC430 rear section which was too short and fitted a spacer which lead to vibration.

I have measured from the bellhousing to the centre bearing bolts on my 3.0L Soarer with everything standard (Soarer autobox, Soarer front prop, Soarer rear prop), as accurately as I can measure the distance is 1170mm. I then assembled my Supra TT box, Supra front prop and Supra rear prop, the distance over the bellhousing to the centre bearing bolts is the same at 1170mm. I then replaced the Supra rear prop with a Soarer V8 prop (exactly the same configuration but 140mm longer), the distance over the Supra gearbox, Supra front prop and to the centre bearing bolts of the Soarer V8 rear section is again 1170mm. Conclusion is that the Supra TT auto box, Supra TT front section and Soarer V8 rear section is OK, at least as far as the centre bearing.

It is self evident that the centre bearing mountings are in the same position on all Soarer bodies and I know for absolute certain that the small case Supra LSD and small case Soarer open diff have the same input flange in the same place (I have just replaced a 4.083:1 Soarer open diff with a 4.083:1 Supra LSD on my 3.0L Soarer). It has been proven several times that the V8 Soarer 3.906:1 open diff can be directly replaced with either the open or LSD versions of the 4.083:1 Soarer diff. It follows therefore that the Soarer V8 rear prop must be a direct fit between the centre bearing bolts and the diff flange of any small case diff fitted with the smaller flange.

Conclusion is that the Supra TT autobox, Supra TT front prop, Soarer V8 rear prop, Soarer or Supra A0xx diff with smaller flange is a good fit for the JZZ30 (1JZGTE engine) or JZZ31 (2JZGE engine) Soarers.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. You might also be interested in our Guidelines, Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.