The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Whifbitz DBW pedal

P_Bazz

Hi all,

I've recently purchased a DBW accelerator pedal from Paul but I'm a bit puzzled about the fitment as it stated as a direct bolt on. It mounts straight to the firewall no problem but the pedal itself sits way low compared to the OEM non-VVTi one and somewhat more to the left causing it to miss and stick to the plastic stopper on the floor. It did not come with any instructions, does anyone have the same kit and also knows how it is wired up? There are 6 pins and I need at least the POS+, POS- and SGND pins according to my EMU manual but I can't seem to find the pinout for this pedal anywhere. From what I've heard it's a Lexus SC430 pedal if that helps! Link: https://www.garagewhifbitz.co.uk/toyota-supra-drive-by-wire-pedal.html?___SID=U

attachment.php?attachmentid=237322&stc=1&d=1597009661

6c0f3b7a-3023-4591-aa60-55ab63a7bec0.jpg

Yeah it's not a direct fit. I had to do the following to get mine to fit..

Make some 30mm spacers to sit in between the bulkhead and the pedal mount. This pushes it out far enough so you can get a decent amount of travel.

Then remove the pedal stop and elongate the 3 mounting holes to 10mm. This will then allow you to reinstall the pedal mount slightly to the left of where it sits normally and will allow the pedal to hit the stop properly.

You must have the pedal stop installed or something like it, otherwise if you overextend the pedal travel you will have issues with PPS signal going over 5v, and if you hit the pedal to hard with your foot it will pop the PPS arm off the pedal which is not ideal whilst driving!

Wiring is as follows.

Green = signal ground

Red = +5v

White = PPS signal 1

Grey = PPS signal 2

Also there are two 7mm nuts on the side of the PPS sensor. You can loosen them and adjust the sensor range like a TPS sensor. I had to adjust mine to get a good range of 0.5v to 3.8v on the ECU. If your signals go under 0v or over 5v then it can trip the ECU low/high voltage failure detection.

Yeah it's not a direct fit. I had to do the following to get mine to fit..

Make some 30mm spacers to sit in between the bulkhead and the pedal mount. This pushes it out far enough so you can get a decent amount of travel.

Then remove the pedal stop and elongate the 3 mounting holes to 10mm. This will then allow you to reinstall the pedal mount slightly to the left of where it sits normally and will allow the pedal to hit the stop properly.

You must have the pedal stop installed or something like it, otherwise if you overextend the pedal travel you will have issues with PPS signal going over 5v, and if you hit the pedal to hard with your foot it will pop the PPS arm off the pedal which is not ideal whilst driving!

Wiring is as follows.

Green = signal ground

Red = +5v

White = PPS signal 1

Grey = PPS signal 2

Also there are two 7mm nuts on the side of the PPS sensor. You can loosen them and adjust the sensor range like a TPS sensor. I had to adjust mine to get a good range of 0.5v to 3.8v on the ECU. If your signals go under 0v or over 5v then it can trip the ECU low/high voltage failure detection.

That is very good information, thanks for that! I think i'll make a 30mm spacer which bolts to the firewall and move the pedal over to the right about 18-19mm to center it on the pedal stop. Unfortunately I only received the pedal not the connector with the wiring, would you be able to take a picture or make a quick pinout schedule which of the wire colors you described goes where on the plug? I'll adjust the sensor accordingly to stay within range!

That's a bit naff. It's worded on their website as being a direct fit. I'd be getting in touch with them to sort it...especially for the price of it! (It's a Lexus GS300 VVTi pedal iirc)

I agree with you, in theory it does directly bolt on but the out-of-the-box fitment is just too much of an issue. It really should come with a JZA80 specific spacer or correctly bent pedal arm at this price point. The full DBW kit also comes with this pedal and is even more expensive! With the information from Mike I should be able to sort it out but it shouldn't be necessary.

That is very good information, thanks for that! I think i'll make a 30mm spacer which bolts to the firewall and move the pedal over to the right about 18-19mm to center it on the pedal stop. Unfortunately I only received the pedal not the connector with the wiring, would you be able to take a picture or make a quick pinout schedule which of the wire colors you described goes where on the plug? I'll adjust the sensor accordingly to stay within range!

The plug used is the same as 2JZ IACV plug.

Pin 1 & 3 = Signal GND

Pin 4 & 6 = 5v

Pin 2 = PPS1

Pin 5 = PPS2