The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Juddering when pulling off or in reverse...

steve spedd

Evening All,

After some advice/opinions if you would please...

My gearbox went pop a few months ago and I think the clutch went at the same time so I've put a new clutch and R154 (second hand) in. When I pull off now there is a judder and a bit of noise. I appreciate that's a very poor description but any ideas what it could be? I'm thinking:

Diff gone?

Dodgy R154?

Flywheel?

Any advances on the above or agreement?

Many thanks...

Steve

What clutch did you replace it with if it was a paddle type you can encounter judder

did you reuse your flywheel or aftermarket and what was the prop carrier like condition although this wouldn’t only be noticeable pulling away and reversing you would often have vibration throughout same for prop spaces missing or assemble wrongly Sorry can’t be of much assistance

The only time I ever had a judder gradually appear on a newish clutch was when it'd got oil contaminated. But it could easily be caused by sloppy mounts, bearings and bushes. So many parts on these cars are just old, When under my car, I constantly gaze at my original fit propshaft rubber coupler and think I really should be changing it out sometime before it fails and vibrations set in.

What clutch did you replace it with if it was a paddle type you can encounter judder

did you reuse your flywheel or aftermarket and what was the prop carrier like condition although this wouldn’t only be noticeable pulling away and reversing you would often have vibration throughout same for prop spaces missing or assemble wrongly Sorry can’t be of much assistance

It's a paddle clutch but did it before I changed that. I've ruled out the clutch and flywheel and once you've set of its fine.

Put engine mounts and prop-shaft centre bearing onto your check list.

As usual you might be right Sir! I think it's one of these. Any way to test them? Visual inspection won't give me anything will it?

The only time I ever had a judder gradually appear on a newish clutch was when it'd got oil contaminated. But it could easily be caused by sloppy mounts, bearings and bushes. So many parts on these cars are just old, When under my car, I constantly gaze at my original fit propshaft rubber coupler and think I really should be changing it out sometime before it fails and vibrations set in.

Thanks for the reply. I do think it's leaning towards this. Anyone know where I can get a 1 piece prop for the R154 made? Would eliminate some issues!

As usual you might be right Sir! I think it's one of these. Any way to test them? Visual inspection won't give me anything will it?

It will if your eyes work properly!

Failing engine mounts, look for metal to metal contact.

Failing centre prop bearing, look for excess movement in rubber mount.

• 3 weeks later...
Ok so I've had a look (with my eye David! ;) ) And I'm pretty sure it's the engine mounts.

Where is best to get some (I don't want solid)...

Thanks in advanced ��

Having said that I've seen the PHR Solid ones. These any good?

Does only one of them work? ;)

Solid mounts will sound not much better than todgered OE mounts. :shrug:

Replace them with a pair of OE pre VVT-i mounts and then forget about them for the next 25 years.

Edited by David P (see edit history)

Here you go...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOYOTA-SUPRA-JZA80-TWIN-TURBO-ENGINE-MOUNT-INSULATOR-ASSY-SET-OF-X2p-12360-46111/202722099945?epid=649185283&hash=item2f332dc2e9:g:ttQAAOSw1NNdTRt0

P.S. Make sure that these are pre VVT-i mounts, the part numbering is a confusion?

The pre VVT-i mounts I would recognise are all aluminium, these are half steel like VVT-i mounts?

Okay...

I have spoken to Keron and the correct part number for the Pre-Facelift engine mounts that you need is 12360-46070.

However, this is a discontinued item.

I have tracked down one in the USA here. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Toyota-Supra-1993-95-JZA80-OEM-Genuine-Insulator-Engine-Mount-Front-12360-46070-/112464923321

Keron informs me that he has used and thinks can still get them from a Company called MTC in USA.

I have Google-d about and it looks as though you might be to get these from here?

https://www.vposudg.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=285181