The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Engine Fault Code 14

MKIV-Supra

Hey Guys,

here i come with my second Problem. This Problem came now 2 Times, first Time after the last driving for about 15km and yesterday after warm up and driving 0,5km for testing the brakes.

Troublecode blinks only Fault Code 14, No ignition Signal, after its getting warm/hot.

I have new Spark Plugs in it, NGK BKR7E gapped to 0,7mm. The old ones were NGK BKR6E Gapped to 0,9mm.

Connectors to the Ignition Coil Packs are new.

I've tried to pull out the Fuse for 10-15 minutes and reset the ECU again, when the Engine Lamp is on, nothing.

I have to wait 1-2 hours, until it runs normal.

When the Engine Failure Lamp is on, the Supra runs on 3-4 cylinders, after it cools down and the Engine Failure Lamp is off, everything is fine again.

Where should i start to search for the fault? ECU? What should i test or measure out?

Perhaps the coil packs have perished? the rubber on the end of the connector could be warming up and giving a bad connection to the plug.

Do you know anybody with a working set of coils you could try?

Edit - Code 14 actually references the igniter, perhaps try a spare of that?

attachment.php?attachmentid=13920&d=1112558346

Edited by Ric (see edit history)

Maybe i can find someone who has some Coil Packs left. When i changed the spark plugs, i didnt smell anything from the coil packs. I know bad coilpacks from the VAG Models and BMW, they begin to smell.

But how can i find out which coil pack is bad? All 6 to changed are realy expensive to change.

As mentioned above, check the ignitor and more importantly the wiring from the ignitor to each coil. Over time the wires in the plugwells can perish and arc out if insulation is weakened or lost. I redid all my coil pack wiring for this reason in milspec wire. But I also did a coilpack conversion at the same time. You say you have replaced the coil connectors so I am guessing this may have been done already?

The ignitor, as said above, definately worth checking. Or you could do a coil pack conversion to more modern coilpacks and bin the ignitor which is what I did!

The other thing that is worth checking as it seems to be able to cause a multitude of faults is the actual ECU. Worth trying a good replacement ECU in its place if the above finds nothing.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys, After i changed the ignitor and the coil packs, i had the problem again. I‘ve changed the connectors 2 years ago, bought it from a german member, but this was my fault, quality was very Bad, changed it now and now it works.

I‘ve had a disconnect When it was warm on the 6. cylindre on the coil pack.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk Pro

• 2 weeks later...

A good guy who knows how to use an oscilloscope could isolate this issue in minutes, but I would check the grounding and connections to the igniter pack, and renew the actual coil pack TERMINALS (not just the plastic shells), the terminals are available from Toyota with pre crimped short wire tails. Do a PROPER job of crimping them to the engine loom with a proper set of glue lined heat shrink barrel crimps from the likes of Raychem, crimped with the correct crimping pliers.

• 2 weeks later...