The mkiv Supra Owners Club

1/4 mile questions

Adam Kindness

Im planning to take my supra (94 J-Spec TT) to Crail's 1/4 mile strip on the 24th, but.... just a few issues...

1st of all, what are the normal terminal speeds... as i hope there not over 120... I still have mine limited

Secondly - what time would you expect me to get.... its a std engine, and im a novice supra driver!.... under 14's?

Quote: from Adam Kindness on 9:16 am on Feb. 12, 2002[br]

Secondly - what time would you expect me to get.... its a std engine, and im a novice supra driver!.... under 14's?

Expect low 14s (maybe high 13s at Crail) at around 100MPH with a stock Supra TT Auto. Launch will be important. WHat method are you going to use.

I think you will find find that  guys in the states that use power braking reqularly have had the tranny fail due to the heat build up in the fluid in the  converter whist  braking with modded cars. Dont hold it for too long. IMO one or two should not do any harm with a stock car.

From what I've heard on here (no personal experience - I'm not into autos), there's no problem with power-braking if you're sensible.  Hold the brakes, rev to ~2000rpm, release brakes.  Problems can arise if you hold the car straining against the brakes for more than two or three seconds - all that energy is dissipated into the transmission fluid and it gets very hot.

I suppose if you made a habit of doing it, it would be worth halving the time between transmission fluid changes as preventative maintenance, but the odd outing to the drag strip shouldn't cause a problem *from what I've heard*.  Someone shout out if I'm wrong!