The mkiv Supra Owners Club

3D printing?

el_bandido

This has been talked about quite abit in our midlands meets as Burna, Tim (TB developments) and Trick have all recently bought one so they have been looking into that quite alot, im sure one of them will be on soon and willing to offer the knowledge they have gained on the subject :)

Anyone got a 3D printer lately? They seem to have dropped in price a lot, I'm contemplating getting one. The thought had occurred that I could use one to replace bits of interior as parts stop being available.

As Shawn says, three of us have recently got into the world of 3D printing :) Tim bought a ready assembled 3D printer off the shelf, one of the XYZ da Vinci range of printers. It's easy to use, has a cartridge system to load the filament, and has all the settings included so it's just print and go. That's exactly what Tim wanted, no messing around, but you pay the price tag for that.

I went a different route, and ordered myself a printer you have to build yourself http://www.gearbest.com/3d-printers-3d-printer-kits/pp_337314.html, as the price was good and I knew I would enjoy spending time building it myself. The community for this printer is great, with lots of modifications to improve the quality of the printer. From mods you print yourself, or bought mods like changing the noisy roller bearings for quiet drylin bearings, better belts, you name it. With enough time and patience you can turn this cheap 3D printer into something that will rival printers 10 times its price.

I've only been up and running just over a week, but I'm learning a lot, and enjoying the whole process so far :)

As Shawn says, three of us have recently got into the world of 3D printing :) Tim bought a ready assembled 3D printer off the shelf, one of the XYZ da Vinci range of printers. It's easy to use, has a cartridge system to load the filament, and has all the settings included so it's just print and go. That's exactly what Tim wanted, no messing around, but you pay the price tag for that.

I went a different route, and ordered myself a printer you have to build yourself http://www.gearbest.com/3d-printers-3d-printer-kits/pp_337314.html, as the price was good and I knew I would enjoy spending time building it myself. The community for this printer is great, with lots of modifications to improve the quality of the printer. From mods you print yourself, or bought mods like changing the noisy roller bearings for quiet drylin bearings, better belts, you name it. With enough time and patience you can turn this cheap 3D printer into something that will rival printers 10 times its price.

I've only been up and running just over a week, but I'm learning a lot, and enjoying the whole process so far :)

did you have to buy anything else with this kit, i.e software etc, or is everything there to get you up and running?

Awesome, I'll probably go down the route of that build it yourself printer; I quite like that sort of tinkering. Cheers Burna!

No problem mate, happy to help if you need any tips setting it up :)

did you have to buy anything else with this kit, i.e software etc, or is everything there to get you up and running?

Pretty much runs once it's built. You do have to download some software that generates the code for the printer to print your parts, but that's free and easy to set up.

This guy has done some great write ups and it helped me lots. https://pevly.com/anet-a8-3d-printer-review/

And here are they mods he suggests: https://pevly.com/anet-a8-upgrades/

We are getting a very advanced one at work and I am really excited. It will have to be approved by the board so I don't know which one we are going for yet but it will definitely be big.

What are you guys printing? I know you can get CAD for pretty much everything online these days but if you need any help reverse engineering or designing from scratch give me a shout.

... I do have a ton of supra body part CAD designs, spoilers, exausts, bars, etc... some good, some bad, none designed for printing, and none are my own, all of them are from online sources,... And none of then could be printed for application purposes by anything other than giant printers...

Hi.

Whats the quality of the cad? And are they on scale??? Might be interested to have a look if you want to share.

I have been printing in sections which allow to print massive parts and then assemble them together. You still need a big printer though, just doesn't have to be able to print the full bumper in one go. I have been doing exterior parts but only as test fit parts/prototypes for injection moulded bits.

I hadnt realised these DIY printer kits were so cheap now, I'm tempted to pick one up just for messing about with.

Is the print quality still not quite poor tho? so anything printed is more for prototyping purposes rather than an actual usable part