The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Is it worth it?

nicky

I see figures of 10k/15k being thrown about for single turbo builds and I really don't see how people are spending that much on average? Is that including labour etc or just parts? I've never converted a car myself and mine is only BPU but I'm just curious if someone could give a breakdown of cost of whats involved? Surely there's someone on here that has spent less and still has a quality build if they've taken their time garthering parts whenever bargains have came up.

From rough estimates/calculations in my head here's what I think is necessary and rough costs.

Turbo - £850 (e.g. Borg Warner S366)

Manifold - £1000 (New 6Boost/2nd hand Whifbitz)

Wastegate - £300 (40mm Turbosmart etc)

Injectors - £500 (set of 2nd hand ASNU 1100cc for sale on here at the minute)

Downpipe - £100 (2nd hand for example and get it modified to fit your particular setup)

Air filter - £50

Standalone ECU - £1600 (including fitting and mapping, based on my local prices with a LINK G4+)

your rough estimates are way out. If you want to do it cheaply you will end up boing it twice.

Turbo kit is £4k alone (granted maybe £2.5k second hand)

ECU £1.5 - 3k - personally id be going with the syvecs

injectors I would never buy second hand as they get full of crap and cost a fortune to get cleaned and flow tested - £1000

exhaust - £500

fuel rail - £200

fuel system to support power - £600

Oil cooling - £400

Thats over £9k in parts alone. Then labour on a single is not cheap - I would not expect to see much change from £3k

your rough estimates are way out. If you want to do it cheaply you will end up boing it twice.

Turbo kit is £4k alone (granted maybe £2.5k second hand)

ECU £1.5 - 3k - personally id be going with the syvecs

injectors I would never buy second hand as they get full of crap and cost a fortune to get cleaned and flow tested - £1000

exhaust - £500

fuel rail - £200

fuel system to support power - £600

Oil cooling - £400

Thats over £9k in parts alone. Then labour on a single is not cheap - I would not expect to see much change from £3k

Absolutely spot on Mike.