The mkiv Supra Owners Club

just fitted FMIC...wow!!

wkdtime

i'm interested to know how you got on when the Do Luck nose went on? i'm assuming you had to remove the front reinforcement bar & possibly the plastic shielding behind it, but any other modifications required?

and how well does it fit the aperture of the Do Luck nose using the brackets etc supplied?

thanks,

Wes

I just fitted a Miami Gt FMIC and I also had the problem with the air. as the pipe work is very straight..... So not wanting to go aftermarket filter, I modified my air box.... I cut the back towards the top, (afterall the air pipe in the box is at the bottom). Used the old bottom piping and fibre glassed around it to get the desired shape.. Job done... car runs fine and although i may of comprised a bit of air flow, there is still room behind the filter at the top. I got a pic somewhere.

Also got a spare air box so was happy at having a go at modding it...

Hope this helps

Simon

had you thought of having a different pipe fabed up instead? this is what i would rather do was it an option?

had you thought of having a different pipe fabed up instead? this is what i would rather do was it an option?

Yeah I did, but the way the pipe was , it was to many bends, as the top pipe also had to bend inside the arch... Airbox was an easy option and works...:D

I am in the same boat really. My SMIC is in a bad condition and I mean bad. 400 pounds is good price compare with even the cheapest group price from import pimp the GReddy V-SPL 2-Row Front Mounted Intercooler = £467 + £50 surface post to UK. which is 517 pounds, that is 117 more than the e-bay job.

400 pounds is good but I am acturally thinking of paying even less than that.

I am in the same boat really. My SMIC is in a bad condition and I mean bad. 400 pounds is good price compare with even the cheapest group price from import pimp the GReddy V-SPL 2-Row Front Mounted Intercooler = £467 + £50 surface post to UK. which is 517 pounds, that is 117 more than the e-bay job.

The £117 you save on the cheap FMIC, you'll need to spend (and some) on getting a new induction kit, because the pipes don't fit properly.

Plus with the induction kit fitted it will be sucking in hot air from the engine bay, so the FMIC is going to have to be that much more efficient to achieve the same charge temp, so you could actually see an overall decrease in power as a result :looney:

I have no dispute here, you pay for what you get. Pay the GReddy price and you get a better fit. I guess the people who will buy the branded ones will also pay for the fitting as well instead of DIY as cost won't be an issue.

It is about option here. I already have the green mushroom which sucking up heat from the engine bay and so does a lot other which have aftermarket induction kit. I am looking for the Hybride GT intercooler and seperate pipe work which don't need messing around to fit which I remember someone here has already done and for less than 400. even for 400 I will have to wait until after my wedding and honeymoon which is in 8wks :blink:

pysmon have to mod the air box to fit the FMIC and that is more expensive one than the e-bay too.

My hybrid cheapie came with better clamps than the one that was on group buy a while back, the VSPL one i think, i know this because Ray from this forum has one and i compared my clamps to his, and even he had to get an aftermarket filter in his UK spec because he could not get the box to fit back in.

Overall im sure you get what you pay for, but the hybrid is fatter better than my Ex 10 year old SMIC.

I just fitted a Miami Gt FMIC and I also had the problem with the air. as the pipe work is very straight..... So not wanting to go aftermarket filter, I modified my air box.... I cut the back towards the top, (afterall the air pipe in the box is at the bottom). Used the old bottom piping and fibre glassed around it to get the desired shape.. Job done... car runs fine and although i may of comprised a bit of air flow, there is still room behind the filter at the top. I got a pic somewhere.

Also got a spare air box so was happy at having a go at modding it...

Hope this helps

Simon

any chance of that pic of airbox mod may help me decide what to do

...Plus with the induction kit fitted it will be sucking in hot air from the engine bay, so the FMIC is going to have to be that much more efficient to achieve the same charge temp, ..

Actually it's worse:

the more efficient the FMIC is, the hotter the air just behind it, and so the hotter the air sucked by the 'performance' filter.

Like chasing your tail.:blink:

(the hotter part of the FMIC core is the one closer to these intakes, so that doesn't help either)