The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra MK3 1JZ-GTE Tacho problem

manolaq

Hello,

I have a Supra MK3 with 1JZ-GTE and the last couple of months I have an electric problem. When I turn on the ignition and the tachometer is "playing" an also if you go near to the top of the cylinder head you can hear sparks from the coils. If you start the engine it will run for a few seconds and then it will stall. If you start it again it may work for another few seconds normally and then it will stall again. While the engine is running the tachometer is "playing" ex the engine is idling at 900rpm and the tacho is instantly going to 2000 and back to 900.

I have checked the below

1. Change igniter (three of them)

2. Change coils

3. Change plugs

4. Disconnect crank and cam position sensors, MAP, idle control valve, TPS

I also checked the error codes in the ECU and I got 14 and 21. 14 is ignition feedback (IGF) error. As mentioned above everything related to ignition has been changed and I have also checked the wires from ECU to igniter and everything looks normal.

I am posting here because 1JZ is similar to 2JZ and maybe someone has seen this before. Any ideas??

Thanks guys.

I am not an electronic expert but as far as I know on a pcb in general the capacitors is the first thing to replace if something is not working and if the problem continues then buy another one and as you said these are 23 years old and if you buy a used one it may have problem also.