The mkiv Supra Owners Club

I'm Just At A Loss Of Whats Wrong :(

a98pmalcolm

Thanks for the reply fellas. I have checked a lot of the wiring that goes to the coil back that had issues and i cant see anything. Im not sure what gount to check that you guys are mentioning. I have new plugs on the wat.

Water temps are perfectly fine. I gave all my wiring in the dash a good tidy up and resoldering..

Been running these coils for years and no issues till now. Im guessing its either plugs or what you guys have mentioned with wiring

I am struggling to see how a bad ground would cause this. One side of the coils go to ignition switched battery positive, the other sides are grounded at the right time, and hopefully for the right duration, by the ECU. I am still wondering about the "for the right duration" bit. I would, were it my car, definitely log dwell time on the coils. Too much dwell would DEFINITELY do some harm, either to the coils or the driver transistors in the ecu. You could put a current clamp on the coil +ve lead and measure the current draw with a multimeter or a scope. A scope would show the low tension ignition waveform, too. What do Syvecs say about it?

Thanks for the reply chris, Lee and Romain have looked at the map and all is ok, I'm pretty sure that what Lee mainly looked at.

The car behaved fine tonight (did about 10 miles) didn't give much boost to be on the safe side. Did feel a very little lumpy at points could have just been paranoia.

Plugs are on there way, as a precaution. I would like to measure the voltage going to each coil during Idle. I may to that monday to see if they match.

I have very little understanding of the coil pack wiring. I see wires coming in from the left and right side. The right side I assume if from the igniter and if I under stand you chis the right side are the grounds?

Thanks for the reply chris, Lee and Romain have looked at the map and all is ok, I'm pretty sure that what Lee mainly looked at.

The car behaved fine tonight (did about 10 miles) didn't give much boost to be on the safe side. Did feel a very little lumpy at points could have just been paranoia.

Plugs are on there way, as a precaution. I would like to measure the voltage going to each coil during Idle. I may to that monday to see if they match.

I have very little understanding of the coil pack wiring. I see wires coming in from the left and right side. The right side I assume if from the igniter and if I under stand you chis the right side are the grounds?

This presentation may help. I f the Syvecs still uses the stock igniter these have a capacitor connected to them, a small plastic box next to the igniter with its own connector plug. Is it there and plugged in? It should be.... Have a careful read of : http://www.chriswilson.tv/cop.pdf

This presentation may help. I f the Syvecs still uses the stock igniter these have a capacitor connected to them, a small plastic box next to the igniter with its own connector plug. Is it there and plugged in? It should be.... Have a careful read of : http://www.chriswilson.tv/cop.pdf

It is plugged in if its the little grey box. I also replaced it the same time as the igniter. The link doesn't work fella.