The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Engine design ideas.........

TBDevelopments

So water core only, tank yet to be built, seems rather big for a CC, kind of defeats the object, you could cool 6-800bhp with an air to air IC of that size, add the rad and you have taken quite a bit of space not to mention the extra weight.

I stand by my original post then, smaller scale re positioned CC and rad.

what chris says is correct. I've yet to build the top water casing and box in the sides. From there where you see the fins on the left and right faces, there will be end tanks fabricated to come from the turbo to the right side. then left side upto the TB.

The purpose of a chargecooler is mainly to have the pipe routing the smallest possible distance. Your using an exchange through materials, ie boost to water to air to cool the system. So having the CC far away is pointless.

This design there is 6" of IC pipe work. thats it :)

the core designed surface area going on my number crunching would be enough to cope with 1500bhp (assuming water is kept at ambient), seeing i'm only going for 600bhp this will be plenty.

i am also playing around with active cooling of the CC water system through the aircon system, so should be able to get water temps down to 4-5 degree's on a summer day :)

Tim

TB Developments

I am not sure why your so concerned with the short pipework idea, as if your thinking heat soak/contamination it will have little effect due to boundary layer effect, IE the moving airflow picks up very little heat due to the air speed and the very slow moving air at the boundary of the pipe surface that will in effect insulate,

a lot of people get hung up over trying to insulate IC pipework from picking up heat, but it has very little effect once the engine is under load.