The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Fuel pump

Ian C

Quote: from Martin F on 11:09 am on Feb. 13, 2002[br]It's in the fuel tank, take out the spare wheel and you will see the coverplate.

Not sure how to check the spec though.

Chees, Martin.  I took the wheel out, removed the coverplate, and there it is.  I've made a note of the markings on the rim of the pump, and I would like to ask a favour of anyone with a UK spec car - can they have a shufty at their fuel pump and compare the markings with mine? (it's easy to look at, you don't have to touch the pump)

TOYOTA

PE-HD

SAE HDPE

74144-14040

HORIE METAL

Cheers :)

-Ian

hi people

i have a j spec 96 supra, think i have read the uk supra has a better fuel pump, could you go just buy a uk pump and fit that with no problems.also where are the fuel filters.just trying to learn about tuning.also whats tha advantages of better fuel pump.is it just has a better pump rate to get more fuel into the engine.is it better if you are upping the boost. i have a de cat pipe and boost goes up when you floor it. i get fuel cut. got a pete betts fuel cut defencer to fit.

thanks for any info

UK pump is more powerful.

using a bigger pump allows more fuel to flow when using bigger injectors and a fuel computer/re-mapped ECU if you upgrade to UK spec injectors then it would be worthwhile uprating the fuel pump to match. The last thing you want is fuel starvation at high boost. Fit the FCD asap you can seriously harm the engine/drivetrain by hitting fuel cut.

Guest Martin F
Quote: from Ian C on 12:53 pm on Feb. 16, 2002[br]
Quote: from Martin F on 11:09 am on Feb. 13, 2002[br]It's in the fuel tank, take out the spare wheel and you will see the coverplate.

Not sure how to check the spec though.

Chees, Martin.  I took the wheel out, removed the coverplate, and there it is.  I've made a note of the markings on the rim of the pump, and I would like to ask a favour of anyone with a UK spec car - can they have a shufty at their fuel pump and compare the markings with mine? (it's easy to look at, you don't have to touch the pump)

TOYOTA

PE-HD

SAE HDPE

74144-14040

HORIE METAL

Cheers :)

-Ian

OK just done this and the number you have is not of the pump, that is of the assembly or fixture plate. I have the same number on the rim of my plate as well (UK Spec) but that doesn't really mean a lot.

You need to remove that assembly (make sure battery is disconnected) and the you will be able to see the pump inside along with the level sensor and other piping.

Similar to this :-

http://www.vache.org/supra/tmp/dimitri/MVC-004F.JPG

This pic show's a modified Supe fuel system with dual Bosch pumps.

Sorry i didn't go that far as the light was failing, buit according to the EPCD the part number for a UK pump is 23221-46110