The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Is water/meth injection safe? undecided

msupra1

Lower octane is not the only cause of det, you have already said others are able to run more boost on same fuel.

What ignition setup do you have and what plugs are you running.

I may have worded myself wrong, but no, no one is really running higher boost than 1.3bar on Supra's here on pump fuel.

Personally I would be looking for a map that allows better driveabulity than peak BHP, power is not all about BHP, with the right kind of mapping and getting the peak torque in the most usable areas of the RPM/load map you would probably notice this far more than peak BHP.

I agree and that is the plan, but having said that, I am limited in power regardless of how good the car may drive on pump gas.

The most common thing people do here to run a bit more boost is get the meth kit, since I can't run lets say 22psi on pump gas.

So with making this thread, the main thing I am trying to find out is it's safe to run. Based on the responses and all the research I've done it seems like it is with the proper fail safes in place.

Race fuel is pretty expensive and I wouldn't be willing to ship barrels, I have a E85 station 1 hour away so at that point I might as well run E85 but it's still not practical for me, plus its almost double the cost compared to pump. I want simplicity, and meth injection seems simple, anything else Id rather just get less power do straight pump.

I had a methanol kit installed in my Supra a couple of years ago.

My tuner wasn't keen on mapping it with the meth kit as stand alone unit ; if the pump fails, the mixture will run lean and you will blow your engine. I removed the kit thus.

In my current setup, I run teflon lines with ethanol capable pumps and injectors, and my ECU runs a flex fuel sensor ... a perfect combo imo.

Edited by Luxluc (see edit history)