The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Performance or Aesthetics?

Guest Suprem3x

Guest Suprem3x
Although you might get ripped for calling it 'non aspirated' :p

Haha just realized no idea why I called it that! The lights are on but no one is home, but I'm a noob so it's okay :sly:

There's little you can really do to an NA Supra performance wise, removing the cats and fitting an aftermarket 2JZGE exhaust will gain a few hp's and make the car feel a bit more responsive. I'd concentrate on the handling and braking, decent quality suspension, full alignment check and good quality tyres. If it's fitted with the smaller 2pot/1pot brakes then either upgrade to the larger 4pot/2pot brakes or optimise the smaller brakes with braided lines, good quality pads, decent fluid and a stopper for the brake master cylinder.

Thanks thats some pretty good information I'll be sure to have a look into it. I think the suspension and alignment may already be set up for racing.

Guest Suprem3x
If the reason you are concerned about 'performance' is because you may get 'ripped on', ignore the comments on here its meant in good humor, and the young chavs at some meets who cares what they think. If you want more power and the car is setup for it then go for it. If your happy with its power then stick with it and set about making sure everything else is spot on both visually and mechanically.

I have owned my NA since 2010 and she is still at the same BHP it was when I got it bone stock. However it drives completely different as most of it is new and has been set up properly.

For me performance, as in bragging rights numbers means absolutely nothing, looks plays a huge part of my cars. However performance is completely different to BHP, I feel mine performs brilliantly at what it was designed to do. Only now am I putting more power into it as the car is ready for it, and I want a little extra poke.

There are plenty of cars out there that are running very impressive BHP figures, but they are either so fragile, complete dogs, rusted, or just generally deteriorating.

Bit of inspiration if you are staying NA....

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?239143-Jakes-Sz-supra-build-The-details-count

Just went through the link, it looks amazing fair play nice job on it! Looking at my car currently I may go towards focusing more on the aesthetics as it runs really well so far and could do with a much needed respray if anything.

I'm with Ripped on this one, for the time being anyway.

Mine is an NA, and I'm currently going through an aesthetics overhaul.

A very long way down the line I'll consider performance.

At the moment it's more than fast enough for 40mph roads around my home-to-work drive.

When I'm sat in traffic, I get more looks because of what a Supra looks like, not necessarily what's under the bonnet.

Both, why have a nice looking sports car that's slow...but then again I don't see the point in having a fast car which looks like a shed

I kind of agree, but I'd much rather have the latter than the former. There are some amazing cars out there which could embarrass a Supra that look pants, they deserve much more respect than a sheep in wolf's clothing.

For me it's aesthetics currently.

People notice my supra and comment on its looks before anything else "nice supra mate"

300bhp is enough for me right now (of course I still want bpu) and I was becoming increasingly embarrassed driving around in her and going to meets with the body kit she had. It just wasn't my style.

I find people are impressed enough with the performance of a standard supra. They always assume it's an absolute monster under the bonnet and 99 times out of 100 they never have a car that can prove otherwise.

Besides, I always roll into the meets with the convoys we organise so you singles can't be all that great ;)