The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Sorted ......Possible serious problem, with fault codes added

markylee

Thinking about it, if it uses current feedback for the IGF poor coil pack connectors *MIGHT* trigger that error. I don't mean the plastic clips, the actual terminals themselves, the heat and vibration loosen them. Toyota do repair kits ( a single terminal ready crimped on a short length of wire, you cut the old terminals off and a bit of the old wire, and properly connect the repair kit with glue filled heat shrink crimps). Andy Blyth links to the part numbers in the Tech section.

Just fitted new o2 sensor,, (chris said this probably wouldn't be the problem) but needed one anyway, took it for a run and engine light came on at about 30mph but didn't feel it stutter, got home parked up and let it tick over, revved it to about 1200 and after a minute or so the engine light came on and started to run a bit rough, so did another code check and 14 came up again, just wondering if I should buy some new ignition leads , that would help wouldn't it ?

Nothing to do with ignition leads or disi cap. Is it an N/A turbo conversion, you speak of plug leads?? Yet you also speak of it being a TT?? I am confused. TT's do not have plug leads, they have coils directly over and directly connected to each plug. That code is quite specific and where I said to check is the place to start, in my opinion. The igniter to ecu IGF wire!

Been trying to find a decent sparky near me but all they keep doing is recomending other sparkies :blink:, and also telling me over the phone that I will need a new ignitor, I have zero skills in electrics , so even unplugging things from the ecu seems too daunting for me, desperately need someone who knows what they are doing, in my area, preferably mobile in the Portsmouth area

Edited by markylee (see edit history)

If you know anyone near you with a TT you could just ask to borrow an ignitor from them. Slave it in and see if it solves the problem.

Otherwise code 14 is;

Ignition Signal

No IGF signal to ECM for 4~7 consecutive IGT signals with engine speed less than 3,000 rpm.

Open or short in IGF circuit from igniter to ECM

Igniter

ECM

ONn/a

Yes

So if you have a multi meter or can get one. Set it up to test continuity. Disconnect the ECM plug and ignitor plug and check each line

(I think this is correct diagram)

Ie 57b to 1a

Then 56b to 2a etc etc

Thanks Tommy, just disconnected all plugs to the ignitor and cleaned them, took it for a short drive with no problems at all, I realise this probably wont fix it, but I have to start somewhere,a bit concerned about doing the same to the ecu end though :bang:

If you know anyone near you with a TT you could just ask to borrow an ignitor from them. Slave it in and see if it solves the problem.

Otherwise code 14 is;

Ignition Signal

No IGF signal to ECM for 4~7 consecutive IGT signals with engine speed less than 3,000 rpm.

Open or short in IGF circuit from igniter to ECM

Igniter

ECM

ONn/a

Yes

So if you have a multi meter or can get one. Set it up to test continuity. Disconnect the ECM plug and ignitor plug and check each line

(I think this is correct diagram)

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/08/07/u6yveny2.jpg

Ie 57b to 1a

Then 56b to 2a etc etc

The problem is ,,,,it is very random when it happens , when it first started to missfire last week it only lasted for a couple of seconds and then no problems for a couple of days until yesterday,,,,,,sprayed all the ignitor terminals with wd40 today and been driving up and down my local motorway for at least 2 hours, with no issues at all , but because it is so random I am fully expecting the engine light to show its ugly head again,,,,,thanks for your input,,,,,,mark

Scott, what I don't understand is....the car generally runs as smooth as you can imagine , when it does misfire its just for a split second then goes away, I can accelerate HARD with no issues, still looking into this code 14 issue. even when it seemed to be running rich it still never missed a beat, put new o2 on now and it seems to not smell so rich, but will get an emmissions test done soon to confirm, thanks for your input............Mark

• 2 weeks later...
Thinking about it, if it uses current feedback for the IGF poor coil pack connectors *MIGHT* trigger that error. I don't mean the plastic clips, the actual terminals themselves, the heat and vibration loosen them. Toyota do repair kits ( a single terminal ready crimped on a short length of wire, you cut the old terminals off and a bit of the old wire, and properly connect the repair kit with glue filled heat shrink crimps). Andy Blyth links to the part numbers in the Tech section.

SORTED :) (I think) I used the toyote rapair kit as some of the wires were loose, somebody had put the white clips inside the connectors the wrong way round :blink: Thanks again for your help Chris.