The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Strange scraping noise on the rear wheel.

Guest Knightrider1980

Guest Knightrider1980

Well I got the new pads for the rear of the car, apparently the left side has a seized pad so needed sorting out, unfortunately I cant do it myself as I need a special tool to help me and also to seperate the handbrake cable which I cant do :(, so off to the garage next Saturday and pay £30 labour for them to fit the pads, atleast then I can drive the car knowing its sorted and ready for my trip to Southampton to my brother in law's stag do.

Guest Knightrider1980
I had a grinding noise on a rotation from rear passenger side after changing my discs and pads turned out to be the handbrake was adjusted to much locking one side after re adjusting its not done it since. Hope you get it sorted.

Its getting sorted out next Saturday, may as well change both rear pads as they come in a set anyway, the left rear caliper has worn down allot due to the caliper seizing.

Like the title says, I know its not the wheel bearings as they would make a high squealing noise, it happens when not using the breaks like something is either stuck or dust/rust in the breaks, almost sounds like damn a steam engine going if you get what I am on about, can hear it everytime I go near a wall or passing parked cars, I was told when I went to the MOT that the breaks where slightly corroded due to not driving much, so the best I can come up with is rust is trapped in the breaks, any idea how to get rid of that sound?

Wheel bearings can make scraping noises, we've seen this many times on the Supra before.

Guest Knightrider1980
Wheel bearings can make scraping noises, we've seen this many times on the Supra before.

I had someone have a quick check and its not the bearing, when he touched the brake disc it was very hot hot the pad was rubbing against it and just stayed in that position intead of retracting off the disc unlike the one on the driverside which is cooler, thats when he told me its either the pad is stuck or seized or the slider might need changing, will find out tomorrow one thing is for sure its something to do with the brake pad or caliper.

Most likely cause is a seized slider, these can usually be freed and re-greased with high temperature Moly grease. Secondly the most likely cause is the piston in the caliper itself being partially seized, you should be able to fully retract with pressure from both thumbs. Lastly the pad(s) could be stuck in the carrier, which are easily freed if you remove the stainless spring steel clips they bear on and scrape any rust or crud off the steel carrier, and refit. Check the disc(s) are not cracked. Long term high running temperatures with a pad bearing on them rubbing hard *WILL* crack them, and a cracked disc can explode with quite devastating consequences. If in doubt renew the discs.

I have this exact same problem on my front passenger side. I took the wheel off spun it round and it made that swirly noise - took the pads out and it disappeared. It was definitely the pads staying in contact with the disc. Don't know why they aren't retracting back properly. Caliper rebuild time soon - odd because seals are absolutely fine on them. Going to grease the pins and points of sliding too.

Saying that one of the brake pads has a little chunk of material missing, don't think that would make a difference though as they were fine for a few weeks, the noise only appeared recently :think:

Chris, I think im going to order everything together, rebuild kit, discs and all!

With 99% of road car calipers there will be, and should be some element of pad drag. The wheel will never spin as freely with pads in the caliper as with them removed. If you drive a for a few miles on an open road and coast to a stop, then feel the discs, you will be able to tell if a caliper or pad is causing excess friction as the disc will be hot to burning hot.

Guest Knightrider1980
Most likely cause is a seized slider, these can usually be freed and re-greased with high temperature Moly grease. Secondly the most likely cause is the piston in the caliper itself being partially seized, you should be able to fully retract with pressure from both thumbs. Lastly the pad(s) could be stuck in the carrier, which are easily freed if you remove the stainless spring steel clips they bear on and scrape any rust or crud off the steel carrier, and refit. Check the disc(s) are not cracked. Long term high running temperatures with a pad bearing on them rubbing hard *WILL* crack them, and a cracked disc can explode with quite devastating consequences. If in doubt renew the discs.

Thank you, I have going out of my mind as I like to have information about what could be wrong and why, and from what you have said along with the garages estimation it clicks into place for me, I will tell them tomorrow when I drop it,the discs are fine, no cracks at all, have not driven it much since the noise started coming over the severn bridge as I don't want to damage anything.

Guest Knightrider1980

Just to let you guys know and also say thank you to the guys who suggested what could be wrong with the brake, big thank you to Chris Wilson for suggesting the 3 most likely things that could have gone wrong, I basically wrote them out and handed it to the guy at the garage just incase they try to screw me over, it was the slider that was partly seized, probably due to me not driving the car for ages, anyway, they have been cleaned and wire brushed up like new and re-greased on top of having a new set of pads on both sides, all is happy in the world and I am looking forward to the trip to Southampton next week :-)

Guest Knightrider1980

Well I just took the car for a drive when I got back from work and after a couple of minutes that god damn noise has back again.....pissed off is not the word.