The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Oil in Mondeo cooling system

Guest Budz86

Guest Budz86

Mates just phoned me to tell me this has happened to him on his 52 plate 2L TDI. He checks the car fairly regularly and a couple of weeks back this wasn't the case. Dipstick is full still, coolant is black and when he put his finger in the expansion bottle it came out with oil on.

My gut feeling is head gasket, but not 'mayo' under the filler cap and and dipstick is clean.

Opinions please gents :)

Check the PAS level. Check the engine oil level. Keep an eye on them for the course of a couple of weeks. But in all honesty I've never had a head gasket fail on a Duratorq, even the 300k mile ones. It's almost always the PAS pump into the water pump. But if the engine oil is dropping with no visible leaks or smoke, they have got a water cooled oil cooler. It's basically the oil filter housing. If he considers getting rid though, let me know, might be interested.

To do the job is a few hours if you've done 10 in the past. A day if you haven't. Lol

Guest Budz86

Cheers mate. Might give you a ring tomorrow when I see him at work. I know he wants a new motor anyway and has his eye on an insignia.