The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Toyota Yaris fuel flap

Josh

The Yaris was low on fuel, so I went to fill up last night. As I pulled the lever to open to fuel flap, it seemed to open as normal, but the flap stayed closed. I tried pulling the lever again and it was loose. It seems as though the cable has snapped, or a plastic clip is broken as mentioned in a thread I found (http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/101927-petrol-filler-flap-broken/)

Undo the 2 bolts holding in the drivers seatbelt at the bottom, and unclip the plastic sill by the door and under the dash.

then lift the carpet up so you can see the bolt which holds the lever mechanism in place... unscrew that and then unclip the old wire.

I did this last night, but couldn't see where the cable joins the lever as it's under the metal frame and not easy to see.

Just wondered if anyone here has had this problem and may be able to help me. I tried to open the flap with my key at the petrol station, but it wouldn't work. I've seen a flat spatula can help open it, but I've not tried that yet.

The car is pretty much empty, so I can't really drive anywhere until I can get some fuel in it. Luckily, I have the Supra and my girlfriend's Ka I can use, so I'm not in too much of a rush to get it sorted, and if there's something I can do to open the flap and at least fill the car up, that'll be fine for now.

Thanks guys :)

Can you not get the boot trim off and pull the cable/actuate the lock?

From all the searching I've done, it seems unclear as to whether you can open it that way. I'll try that as a possible solution later to at least get some fuel in.

To lift the carpet enough to view where the cable joins the lever, it looks like I'd have to take the drivers seat out, as the carpet doesn't come away enough with it in place.

I'll take it apart and get some pictures of the area concerned if it would help, but I guess not. Taking the trim out of the boot to at least open the flap seems to be the way to go for now.

It seems like a rare problem, as there's not much online about it, and on the forum I linked to, no one seems to have heard of this apart from the OP.

Id go for the boot every time, theres no guarantee if you do all the work to get to the cable by the handle, that it won't be broken further down the line, making all that work pointless.

When I noticed the lever was loose, I tried to see if the cable was connected to it. After pulling up the carpet, it looks like a spring is still attached to it, so it must be broken further down.

When I get back tonight I'll take the boot trim off and see if I can get the flap open by pulling the cable then report back.

What a bugger this is! lol :)

I took the panel off the rear light to expose the fuel cap cable

As it has a plastic sheath, it can't be pulled. I guess it needs to be unclipped to expose the wire. I managed to get the fuel cap open with a butter knife and a hell of a lot of fingertip strength. At least I can fill it up and fix it at the weekend :)

image.jpg

Little things lol. On Soarers and Aristos the flap is electrically operated by a servo, but they also put a manual pull cord in the boot just in case, for stuff like this!

I did search online and look for a secondary cable/button, but to no avail lol.