The mkiv Supra Owners Club

1UZ FE tuning help

Marco79

Right I'm looking into my next project and after advice on tuning capability and potential of the 1UZ FE. Anyone with actual knowledge of the engine please stand up lol can be anything from source of aftermarket parts, how much bhp can the engine take before built block I'd necessary, reliability, known weak points etc etc :)

• 4 weeks later...

Well since no one else has replied i would like to add my 2p into it :D

The 1UZ is the strong engine of them all, it has strong rods, pistons and a cast iorn block. depends what power you want .. parts will be hard to get ahold of...

I would suggest you venture on these forums

http://www.v-eight.com/

http://www.lextreme.com/

you should be able to find lots of information and buy parts, all will nee to be custom mod or bought across the pond :D

Well since no one else has replied i would like to add my 2p into it :D

The 1UZ is the strong engine of them all, it has strong rods, pistons and a cast iorn block. depends what power you want .. parts will be hard to get ahold of...

I would suggest you venture on these forums

http://www.v-eight.com/

http://www.lextreme.com/

you should be able to find lots of information and buy parts, all will nee to be custom mod or bought across the pond :D

That's great thanks mate appreciate the input as you would think no one has even heard of this engine by the lack of response lol! I'm off to check these sites out now :D

The better blocks are the pre 93/94 (I can't remember which year exactly) as it had the stronger bottom end.

But as David said, the block and head are aluminium and the weight difference between the 2JZ and the 1UZ is incredible!

I had one for a rainy day until it was taken :( I still wouldn't mind venturing into doing a TT6 1UZ :)

That's great thanks mate appreciate the input as you would think no one has even heard of this engine by the lack of response lol! I'm off to check these sites out now :D

These sites are Toyota v8 based.

any parts you need or info will be found on that forum.!

I am also sure one Supra i have seen on these forums has a 1u configuration!

I thought the old 1Us were cast and the 2Us and 3Us were ally made! Oh well live and learn!
1UZ (4.0) and 3UZ (4.3) are all alloy. 2UZ (4.7) is iron block.

Thanks for the response guys looking at a turbod V8 alternative for zoran in the future so doing research into viable options :) the earlier models are defo stronger and the ones to go for but if running forged internals is there any difference between models?
Not if you are replacing the rods.

Just for info:

attachment.php?attachmentid=178804&d=1388414718

They have been known to do this under boost:

attachment.php?attachmentid=178805&d=1388414835

As well as the forums mentioned, there are a few build threads on the Soarer Central forum, and also on Club Lexus, I think. Obviously on Soarers and SCs, but the principle is the same. :)

The quick and dirty way to a turbo manifold is to start by reversing the standard exhaust manifolds to point forwards.

UZ_Rods.jpg

UZ_Rods_Broken.jpg

Edited by garethr (see edit history)