The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra vs evo?

AndyS13

A few years ago I owned an EVO 6 RSII, one of the rawest incarnations of the EVO you could buy (as many say).

I also still own my BPU Supra.

Very different cars indeed.

The Supra for me on a spirited drive is about being precise and having all the power going through the rear wheels to control, and all the challenges that brings. It may not result in the quickest 'A' to 'B' car on B-roads and that is not a problem in the slightest. Its all about how you get there and the driver input and feedback.

The EVO on a spirited drive for me was about 'aggression' and how much can you get from the car by throwing it up and down the gears and making most of the corner grip and the rapid rate of steering that it had.

On a twisty 'B' road nothing much could touch the EVO. Much quicker than the Supra, as it was about the gearing and the 4WD 'security' when the back end started twitching. Not sure how it would have compared if I had the AYC.... I think for me any computer involvement would have taken something away from the experience rather than add to it.

On a twisty 'A' road the Supra was a 'quicker' car. (Obviously depending on how twisty and how much road width you have).

No point mentioning motorways because they are boring.

But also I can give my Nurburgring experience with both cars. As my EVO 6 was not really power modified and had the factory 300+bhp (more or less) I found the only negative aspect was that it felt it ran out of torque and power at any speed above 100mph. Whereas the Supra just feels like it goes from strength to strength at those speeds.

The grip levels from the Supra on a track like the N'ring feel much higher than the EVO gave me. But the EVO as always makes up for this in its sheer ability to change direction quicker than most cars.

Heavy braking is also very different in each car....the Supra is very stable whereas the EVO is twitchy. Both have their advantages on track of course.

I found both cars very easy to live with on a daily basis. Normal easy driving is well, 'easy' in both cars.

As Abz said AJI, awesome post, a very good explanation of the differences between the two cars :)

That's a fantastic post & comparison!!

As Abz said AJI, awesome post, a very good explanation of the differences between the two cars :)

Thanks guys :)

(If anybody wants anything more specific in comparison terms then just ask).