The mkiv Supra Owners Club

garret GTX3076r GTX3582 ?

muzzytt

has anyone use this turbo Ive pretty much settled on this for my street setup

Ive got a spa manifold (log style) the gtx3076r with T4 .82 housing vband 3 exducer. tial 44mm gate and top it off with a 4inch dump .

this is going on my VVTI .

Im pulling the twins off as we speak but some internet chatter has put me off the GTX3076r saying it will choke the car etc. most seem to reccomend the GTX3582

my goal is to have a responsive street car not really interested in the dyno numbers .

so what do you guys think ? anyone with experience with either turbo ?

I can change the turbo to a GTX3582 but by the time I ship it back and pay the difference plus return shipping I will part with $600 bucks .

money is not the issue if Ive gone down the wrong path .

cheers

Muz

I've done a bunch of research on these turbos for the miraculous day I'm not spending money on the house/garden and can get one of these instead :) The 3076 is reported as a bit of a damp squib because the hot side can't flow enough to make good use of the more efficient GTX design compressor. The 3582 gives more power for the same boost/lag as the older GT35R, but what you really want is the GTX3576R, which gives you the power of an older GT3582R but the spool of the next size down. I'd love to try one out, especially on a log manifold, because I think you'll get a beast of a fast-spooling car with no up-top power sacrifice. Perfect street weapon :)

I use to run a GT35R, the GTX spools quicker and flows up to 10% more. The standard GT35R spools up very quickly, making positive boost at just over 2K rpm, lag is never an issue once you are moving, what can be a problem is traction, the power/torque comes in so early in the rev range that it will easily spin up the wheels in the first 3 gears in the dry. The GTX30R IMO would be too small and will only cause bigger traction issues, I'd definitely go with the GT(X)35R.

but what you really want is the GTX3576R, which gives you the power of an older GT3582R but the spool of the next size down. I'd love to try one out, especially on a log manifold, because I think you'll get a beast of a fast-spooling car with no up-top power sacrifice. Perfect street weapon :)

I think I'd take the extra power of the GTX3582R over the faster spooling GTX3576R, i would want anything more responsive than a standard GT3582R.