The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Ins and outs of painting engine bay.

Brazil

I think they skimmed too much of the lip since there is micro cracks on the lip and also have a leak on the inside outer rim, whats incredible is how they keep sending it back to me with the same faults.. as soon as I get it and before I put it on the car I take it to a tank of water put the wheel in it and see the bubbles come up..! This has been going backwards and forwards now for a year..!

That does not sound good at all !!!!!

I think thats why i disliked it so much. I enjoyed finding where to route the wires and mount things. But the marking, cutting, extending, shortening, soldering was pretty boring. But i did find the last bit of what I've done so far went alot quicker and smoother than the initial bit of loom.

Now i just need to work out how you got your alternator cable through and into that chassis leg !!!! haha

In all honestly Louis. You might actually enjoy the tucking process. Think the supra is a lot easier that the aristo due to the ECU not being in the engine bay. And it will be well worth it. Look at hodge's , Mitchell's , and the one SRD are doing for Jay_NW just now . All absolutely stunning.

Maybe start with a small bit of wiring and see how you get on. Then carry on from there.

Well the alternator cable is the only secret I'm going to keep ;)

Just because the Aristo ECU is in the engine bay, doesn't mean it has to stay there :D

- - - Updated - - -

I think thats why i disliked it so much. I enjoyed finding where to route the wires and mount things. But the marking, cutting, extending, shortening, soldering was pretty boring. But i did find the last bit of what I've done so far went alot quicker and smoother than the initial bit of loom.

Now i just need to work out how you got your alternator cable through and into that chassis leg !!!! haha

In all honestly Louis. You might actually enjoy the tucking process. Think the supra is a lot easier that the aristo due to the ECU not being in the engine bay. And it will be well worth it. Look at hodge's , Mitchell's , and the one SRD are doing for Jay_NW just now . All absolutely stunning.

Maybe start with a small bit of wiring and see how you get on. Then carry on from there.

Well the alternator cable is the only secret I'm going to keep ;)

Just because the Aristo ECU is in the engine bay, doesn't mean it has to stay there :D

You'll be fine, as long as you've checked everything twice you can't go wrong.

:D

See Mitchell knows about blowing the fuses. hahahaha

Everything has been marked well and I've only had 2x tags come off when feeding the loom elsewhere...I was stressing about it but carrying on with connecting everything else soon leaves you with the 2 remaining wires to connect so no real biggy. What I am surprised with is how much dam earth cables there are on the car within the loom that all go to one single earthing bolt. shortening them and making multiple earth points has really helped make the loom neater too. and a lot less cumbersome.

I'm still at the point where the looms are in place and tidily secured. But I wont be wrapping them entirely until I've checked all the lights etc once I've put power back into the electrics.

definitely satisfied with the outcome so far. But getting there wasn't as fun or quick as expected. Need to get the battery cables in place now for the battery location then the fuel pump rela and wiring can go in its new home too.

Any tips on the battery relocation ??? What size of wire to use since its a longer run , what type of breaker/cut off to use ??? also are you earthed off the battery to a location in the boot ???

Need to stop thread jacking Louis's thread though. Will probably start a ''wire tuck'' thread for any more questions

See Mitchell knows about blowing the fuses. hahahaha

Everything has been marked well and I've only had 2x tags come off when feeding the loom elsewhere...I was stressing about it but carrying on with connecting everything else soon leaves you with the 2 remaining wires to connect so no real biggy. What I am surprised with is how much dam earth cables there are on the car within the loom that all go to one single earthing bolt. shortening them and making multiple earth points has really helped make the loom neater too. and a lot less cumbersome.

I'm still at the point where the looms are in place and tidily secured. But I wont be wrapping them entirely until I've checked all the lights etc once I've put power back into the electrics.

definitely satisfied with the outcome so far. But getting there wasn't as fun or quick as expected. Need to get the battery cables in place now for the battery location then the fuel pump rela and wiring can go in its new home too.

Any tips on the battery relocation ??? What size of wire to use since its a longer run , what type of breaker/cut off to use ??? also are you earthed off the battery to a location in the boot ???

Need to stop thread jacking Louis's thread though. Will probably start a ''wire tuck'' thread for any more questions

Buy a srd battery relocation kit mate, simples.

I also went with the SRD relocation kit, really good quality kit Keith, totally recommend it.

no denying its a nice kit....but the Scotsman in me doesn't think its nearly £300 nice.

Will either make up something myself as I have access to cable etc and can knock together a battery tray and will hunt out the other stuff needed.

I already had a nice billet battery tray, so lee gave me a big discount, you could do the same. ;-)

I just have a big hardon for making things myself if possible as opposed to buying. Here was a previous effort for a mates Leon cupra. Ended up finishing it in wrinkle finish black. Looked quite good I thought

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f360/KCRX/Photo0362.jpg

Nice finish, I wish I could do more myself, when I move to my next house it will have a big garage, where I plan to continue building a nice work shop.