The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Replacing Brake Fluid and P/S fluid

listy

Is there a guide on here for this? If so, can someone link me up please? I cant find one using the search :(

I know I will need around 2 litres of (recommended) DOT 5.1 for the Brakes, and around 4 litres of Dexron III ATF for the P/S.

But are there a step by step guides for these procedures?

I have replaced pads before, but not this in depth into the brakes before, and havnt touched the P/S before.

Edited by listy (see edit history)

Well, after printing off a complete TT service manual :shock: I know have pretty much all the info I need.

I do have a couple of questions though, as it only states in the manual how to bleed the brakes.

IIRC, you bleed the longest line first, through to the shortest. So, Passenger side rear, drivers side rear, passenger front, drivers front? Is this right?

And, to replace the fluid, as above, but as the old fluid is being bled, add the new fluid, and keep going until the new fluid starts to bleed out? And repeat for each caliper?

Well, after printing off a complete TT service manual :shock: I know have pretty much all the info I need.

I do have a couple of questions though, as it only states in the manual how to bleed the brakes.

IIRC, you bleed the longest line first, through to the shortest. So, Passenger side rear, drivers side rear, passenger front, drivers front? Is this right?

And, to replace the fluid, as above, but as the old fluid is being bled, add the new fluid, and keep going until the new fluid starts to bleed out? And repeat for each caliper?

That's correct, exactly how I did mine when I fitted braided hoses. The brakes are spot on.

power steering is easy mate,

do you just need to top up? bleed?

or are you doing a full flush (for some reson?)

bleeding is quite easy, lid off, top up, steer full left, then full right. keep doing with engine running and it will quiet down.

you are suppost to have the front of the car up in the air to put less strain on the pump etc but ive done it with the wheels on the floor

I'm thinking of doing a full flush, just because I did the oil not long ago, and I'm doing the brakes (not had time this weekend due to work, so next week hopefully) and the gearbox and diff were done not too long ago, so want to do the other fluids, so I can keep track easier.