The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Bent Wheel

GavinL

I sent, via my local agent, my stock MKIV wheels for refurbishment at a well known SE company.

Having got the wheels back and fitted them to the car (minus the centre caps but that's another story) I promptly drove along the M25 and hit the wheel shakes at 70mph. Now the local agent is responsible for refitting the tyres and re balancing the wheels after reburbished however not being a petty man I took the car to a tyre shop local to Epsom where I was advised that the balancing had not been done correctly and additionally my front offside wheel had a buckled inner rim.

I watched the wheel spinning and it is undoubtly wonky, needing a 20 gram weight to re-balance the wheel. In my opinion the wheel has been dropped at some point when a tyre has not been fitted e.g at the agents, by the van driver or during any stage of the refurb process.

I am of course going to speak to the parties involved but before I do could anyone come up with a reasonable explanation as too how I could inflict damage on the inner rim only.  

Quote: from GavinL on 12:14 pm on Feb. 24, 2002[br]

I am of course going to speak to the parties involved but before I do could anyone come up with a reasonable explanation as too how I could inflict damage on the inner rim only.  

IMO this would be pretty hard to do.  You would have to hit something like a brick just with the inside edge.  But you would then sustain major damage to the underside as the brick would be thrown up not to mention tire damage.

You may have been racing in a bus only lane, round here they have curbstones on the middle of the road to stop cars using certain junctions.  But that would have taken your exhaust off as well.

I thought most inner rim damage is usually caused in accidents after the tire has deflated.

I've got a load of the 5 foot square speed humps near me.  I usually do them one wheel off and one down the middle, but I can also straddle them - this would run on the inside of the tyres so I guess it's possible to hit the rims if the gods were against you that day.

_________

__/                 \__

(Edited by Steve Cargill at 6:18 pm on Feb. 24, 2002)

I have  damaged the inside edge only ......... twice before on previous cars!!

Both times were due to 'kin great potholes that I encountered at speed . I guess the outside edge missed the drop .

This was on TSW rims , admittedly not the strongest. I doubt you could buckle a stock rim without remembering....

I don't think it would be possible to really buckle one by dropping it a few feet either  ,  they are very strong   IMO