The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Police just stopped me

CJ

I got pulled last weekend in Kingston.

The guy pulled me as he had been informed by the CCTV control that i had a small front plate! :swear:

My plate is small but i made sure that the height of the characters were 64mm high which is fine for imports with no room for a standard plate.

http://www.dvla.gov.uk/vehicles/regmarks/reg_marks_current_requirements.htm

He walked round the front of my car and said.

Copper: "Is that a bike plate sir?"

Me: "No its plate for jap imports, all legal with 64mm high characters as per DVLA Specs"

Copper: "thats good enough for me, thanks and drive safely" :rolleyes:

I also keep a printed version of the DVLA info from the above link in the glove box just incase i need to show them!

Here's my car with the plate... (the car is there if you look hard enough) :eyebrows:

http://www.laserlines.com/supra/jae.jpg

all the number plate regs are on the DVLA website.

Lettering height and even angle of the plate presented in the forwards position is all accounted for.

Personally I think its all a bloody joke... I've been stopped twice for smaller lettering even though my number could easily be read from 20 yards away. Police seem to waste everybodys time when more effort should be placed on people with out of date tax discs, no isurance, bad driving etc etc. But no, its an easy £30 fine and when they get back to the office they can show their boss that they have actually been doing some work (instead of eating donuts all day).

Was it because I was speeding? No. Was it because I was driving without due care? No. Did I look like a suspected criminal? No. They stopped me because my front number plate did not conform with the law!

I expalined that I had done my best (it is a stick version put onto the bottom lip of the Do-Luck spoiler) and asked him where he thought I could put a full size number plate in an upright position. He replied, "Thats not my problem, I just enforce the law". I now have 14 days in which to sort this out.

Is that really the best use of a traffic cops time? (Dug would answer but he is on hols)!

Scary Col same thing happened to me Sunday night got a VDF for:

716n Driving without regisetered mark (front)

719n Reg mark not conformingf to Regs. (rear)

Thing was the police couldn't even see my plates when they saw me as I was behind another car as the came past on opposite side of the road. Then did a U-turn and pulled me over in Commercial Road Hereford.

As I was pulled over a lad who had had a drink asked them to turn of their blues and because of that they nicked him and section 5 (what assholes he was only having a laugh but jobs worth policing again)

I pointed out the car they had pulled me over in front off had an illegal No plate (it was sat at traffic lights) so asked them if they were going to nick him as well. They told me its not my place to tell them how to do their job.

They didn't even stop him Wan*ers

unfortunately your there to help meet their Quota CJ :(

I wish people wouldn't keep saying that in "Police pulled me for xxx!" threads. The police don't have a 'quota' to fill, they have no sheet to fill to say how many people they've arrested, they don't get paid commission.

i don't know if they do or don't have quotas (will ask my copper mate his opinion on why some people get pulled and others don't) but i do think if they haven't been busy, they'll pull someone out of boredom

There have been reports of at least a couple of forces having those target cards they have to meet on a monthly basis recently - you know the stuff, 10 points scored for a dodgy numberplate, 2 points for a mugger :clap: :clap: :clap:

My mate who works at Hampshire said he'd never heard of it (it was west sussex IIRC), and his mate who works Emsworth had never heard of it either!!! I called hoax.

They have no quotas believe me, just some cops are ar*eholes and others are OK. Even my mate turned into a sarcastic basteward when he joined, he lets people off unless they backchat and get lippy. He said he likes pulling motorists though!!!

Got pulled over on Saturday in Prudhoe (small town 10 mins from Newcastle). For Speeding bit over 30 and no front plate, Plate was on the dashboard but partly covered by the wiper . I've never met a nicer Policemen not a trumped up little hitler on a power trip which all the rest who have pulled me over have been.

Just warned me about my speed, which considereing where it was wasn't dangerious (outside Prudhoe Paper Mill) asked what happened to the plate. Checked my details and that was it. If all Police were like this one there would be a lot more respect for them as he was human not a prick like so many of the others seem to be. Wish i had take his number so i could write to the Cheif constable, that is how good this guy was.

Yeah I've had a couple who were OK. My mate's advice was be nice, admit things if you've done it, difficult to gauge though you may have to admit something you haven't done!! It seems the thing most of them hate most is people talking back - they CAN'T be made to look like they got it wrong!!! Other than that just hope they got out of bed the right side!

Got pulled over on Saturday in Prudhoe (small town 10 mins from Newcastle). For Speeding bit over 30 and no front plate, Plate was on the dashboard but partly covered by the wiper . I've never met a nicer Policemen not a trumped up little hitler on a power trip which all the rest who have pulled me over have been.

Just warned me about my speed, which considereing where it was wasn't dangerious (outside Prudhoe Paper Mill) asked what happened to the plate. Checked my details and that was it. If all Police were like this one there would be a lot more respect for them as he was human not a prick like so many of the others seem to be. Wish i had take his number so i could write to the Cheif constable, that is how good this guy was.

They should be collected and put in a trophy cabinet! :thumbs:

Police Constables have quotas, it was in the news a couple of weeks back, hence why towards the end of every month we have a "police" brigade roaming up and down the a217 24/7 for a day catching people, then zip for the other 30 odd days.

My mate who works at Hampshire said he'd never heard of it (it was west sussex IIRC), and his mate who works Emsworth had never heard of it either!!! I called hoax.

They have no quotas believe me, just some cops are ar*eholes and others are OK. Even my mate turned into a sarcastic basteward when he joined, he lets people off unless they backchat and get lippy. He said he likes pulling motorists though!!!

I'm afraid they do...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2005/06/28/ncam128.xml&sSheet=/news/2005/06/28/ixhome.html

If motor bikes don't need front plates why should cars?

Fast cars = no plates at the front. (you will be looking from behind any way)

I hate having a plate up front. Any reaseon besides the speed camera's we have them on the front?

they only took them off bikes because they were acting like cheesewire on pedestrians!