The mkiv Supra Owners Club

First Supra

Ryy

I wanted something with rear wheel drive as a track car, was going to buy a 1988 2.8 Capri for a €1200 but then I saw a 1995 NA Supra advertised for €3500 and thought that the extra outlay for the Supra would be a smarter bet as it would go, stop & handle better than the Capri straight out of the box.

Had no real devotion to the marque and my only experience of them prior was seeing the first one in the country in 1993 as a 14 year old, tuning them up & ragging them senseless in the Gran Turismo series years later and spotting the very odd one on Irish roads and thinking a Supra would be a car I'd like to have. In 2008 I decided to realise a dream of mine by getting into some form of motorsport and thats when the Supra bug finally bit me!

I've had it to pieces since then and rebuilt or converted large amounts of it and I've come to the conclusion it really is one of the best built cars ever made. Mine was especially clean underneath when I bought it with all the adjusters rust free and easily tweeked it's a pleasure to work on (for the most part).

There are faster, cheaper and easier ways of getting around a track quickly but I really don't care. There is very little that would tempt me away from the Supra, it's a straight forward, reliable, well thought out design with few drawbacks and all the potential of something many times the price of what I've spent on it. Mine now runs lap times comparable with those achieved in the Pro Class of the Irish Time Attack Series and the touring class of the Irish Touring Car Championship.

The difference is I look a damn sight cooler doing it.:D

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest suprasteven

Watched the fast and the furious and fell in love with it, spent the next couple of years with cars that werent making me happy dreaming about owning a supra like the one in the film then saw the advert for sale called up went for a test drive, picked it up the next day!! :D