The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Machine polishing question.

Supra Gaz

Ok so the paint on my misses Golf which she is learning in is not great, to be honest it doesn't matter as it is a bit of a bumper car but as my Supra looks so shiny the Golf just makes my driveway look poop.

The good was re-sprayed on a rear quarter at some point and the paint has 'spiderwebbed' over its surface, can this be machine polished out, I am a dab hand with the old polisher but don't want to have a go at this if its just going to make the paint worse. I have most grade cutting polishes and pads to do the job.

Any advice would be great, if it can't be I may get it blown over for her for her birthday as she likes the car.

Cheers

If it's spiderwebs as in swirls, then yep a polisher will get those out, as you have a selection of polishes try the least aggressive on a small section of the panel and see how effective it is and go from there.

Make sure though that the surface is decontaminated by using something like what I posted on another thread otherwise you will potentially put more swirls in the paint :thumbs: :

Give it a thorough wash and use a good decontaminating product, I use Autosmart tardis (gets rid of a lot of the tar build up) and then either iron x or wolf chemicals deioniser (both do the same job) each of these stages require you to leave the product on the car for a a few minutes and then wipe it down :thumbs:

Tardis:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Autosmart-Tar-and-glue-remover-500ml-TARDIS-/130617245762?pt=UK_Car_Accessories_Car_Care_Cleaning&hash=item1e69650042

And then

Iron X:

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/engine-and-exterior/carpro-iron-x-500ml/prod_726.html

Or

Deioniser :

http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/wolfs-chemicals-decon-gel-cat6.html

You can clay it after but you will find there is very little if any at all left :)

Cheers Adam, I am happy with dealing with swirls, scratches etc. This is deeper into the paint, it looks as if when it was sprayed it wasn't allowed to dry out properly or moisture got in there and caused it to crack? Crack might be a harsh word but im now thinking a blow over will be the only option, I will get some pics when it comes back from its service.

I am about to tackle the supra with some swirl x and the scratch x in a day or so when the weather is good as the light swirls and scratches on mine are peeing me off. Unlike yourself I will be going at it by hand although I would love to be able to use a machine and do a good job. Msg stonkin as he kindly advised me on some products yesterday as I was tempted to give the car a going over with meguiars ultimate compound but he advised against it as he said the supra paintwork is soft and UC would be a bit too abrasive. Give him a msg and possibly some pics to have a look at and I am sure he will gladly point you in the right direction.

Cheers Adam, I am happy with dealing with swirls, scratches etc. This is deeper into the paint, it looks as if when it was sprayed it wasn't allowed to dry out properly or moisture got in there and caused it to crack? Crack might be a harsh word but im now thinking a blow over will be the only option, I will get some pics when it comes back from its service.

Ah it does sound beyond polishing based on that, as James said it sounds like paint has possibly reacted, but once the pics are up it will be more clear :)

I am about to tackle the supra with some swirl x and the scratch x in a day or so when the weather is good as the light swirls and scratches on mine are peeing me off. Unlike yourself I will be going at it by hand although I would love to be able to use a machine and do a good job. Msg stonkin as he kindly advised me on some products yesterday as I was tempted to give the car a going over with meguiars ultimate compound but he advised against it as he said the supra paintwork is soft and UC would be a bit too abrasive. Give him a msg and possibly some pics to have a look at and I am sure he will gladly point you in the right direction.

Yep UC is definitely to abrasive for swirls, I've found Menzerna 3.02RD works very well by machine on Supra's but by hand I've found 3M ultrafina works brilliantly (as have had to do some tight areas by hand)

You could go the whole hog like I'm slowly doing and wet sanding all the panels making the paint perfectly level removing all the 'orange peel' effect, some of my panels look like a black mirror now :D

Yep UC is definitely to abrasive for swirls, I've found Menzerna 3.02RD works very well by machine on Supra's but by hand I've found 3M ultrafina works brilliantly (as have had to do some tight areas by hand)

You could go the whole hog like I'm slowly doing and wet sanding all the panels making the paint perfectly level removing all the 'orange peel' effect, some of my panels look like a black mirror now :D

If I get nowhere with the swirl and scratch x I will be giving the 3m ultrafina a go for sure. I will be avoiding sanding as I am way to dumb/retarded to try that.... I need instructions and illustrations just to put socks on.