The mkiv Supra Owners Club

1jz/2jz parts mixing

Guest s14nissan

Guest s14nissan

hi guys! new here, will soon be starting a build thread with about 1 million pictures of everything i'm doing at the minute project wise. wondering if anyone could tell me, i've got a 1jz non vvt engine i'm going to be building up over the next while into a nissan s body chassis, was curious to know when buying a few things. it came from an auto soarer that was written off.

does anyone know the throttle body details for a single bracket mount for the cable? hard to describe but my throttle body has 3 mounts for 3 cables, one for pedal, one for kickdown on the auto box and one for cruise control so i was going to change this with a single mounted t/b. what toyota did not have cruise control etc? for me to look out for.

does the mk3 supra r154 box have the same bel housing and shifter as the mkiv supra? as i need to buy a manual box and i dont want to kill a w58 box at my first drift day out in the car.

are the splines on the auto propshaft the same as the splines on a manual prop shaft that goes into the box? i can only assume it's the same auto box on a soarer as a manual supra so surely it'd be a similar prop? as i'll need to get chopping the prop to make it fit the nissan :D

is the exhaust and inlet manifolds swap-able between both 1j and 2jz engines? as i'm looking to top mount a turbo and also increase the air flow coming into the engine so possibly a greddy or hks plenum of some kind but finding cheaper parts for the 1j seems to be an issue but this forum's parts for sale section seems to be crammed with parts :D!

just so i know what's what before i start buying things willy nilly.

cheers.

Guest s14nissan

oh and also flywheel and clutch related parts...i'd assume a flywheel from a 2jz for the r154 gearbox with clutch is the same on a supra as a soarer? so i could go out and buy someone's r154 supra box with flywheel and clutch :D??

Not sure about the throttle cable thing, but whats wrong with the 3 cable set up?

Mk3 box might have the correct bellhousing if it came froma 1JZ powered car, but more than likely will have a 7M housing which wont fit. The shifter will need an extension making up. Best to get the box from a Soarer or a Chaser.

Auto prop shafts bolt to the box using a flange rather than splines, you'll need a prop from the same car the gearbox comes from.

1JZ and 2JZ heads have totally different stud patterns, no compatibillity there.

The Mk4 supra never came with the R154, so you'll need the clutch from a Soarer.

Guest s14nissan

ok perfect so what's the difference in fueling with the 1j and the 2jz fuel rails? injector size bigger on a supra? i read something about resistors and wiring being different in a supra??

also the 'pidgeon mod' for the sr20det engines in nissans involves plugging the turbo recirc valve pipework so the air doesnt escape the system and goes back through the turbo and out the air filter, is this ok to do also on the standard twin turbo 1jz setup? wastegate chatter ftw! :D

1JZ TTs have 380cc injectors, high impedence, 2JZ J specs have 440cc high impdence, 2JZ UK spec have 550cc low impedence hence the need for a resistor pack.

Its not advisable to do on small turbos with old ceramic wheels, in fact Ive never heard of it done and Ive had a few Soarers. Also its turbo surge not wastegate chatter ;)

Guest s14nissan

and is that ok to have surge with twins? well i'm looking into top mount setups as when it goes into an s body shell the turbo pipe at the back hits the clutch master cylinder with the mounts/brackets i'm using.

i'm a bit of a noob with the jz engines hand me an SR20 and i'm your man haha so i'm still learning alot. i take it the soarer turbos will be ceramic wheels? i'm looking at a few holset tubbys and am trying to decide about properly fueling the engine.

also as for mapping. what sort of ecu's should i keep my eye out for? i know obviously power FC apexi units are good but i take it you can't remap a standard ecu?

Dan he's buying a TT ;)

1JZs have ceramic turbines, they have been known to shatter with too much boost, cant imagine slowing them down that fast will do them any good, or the oil seals.

ECU's whats your budget? AEM, Syvecs if youre feeling flush, even emanage ultimate. Obviously the more you pay the better the results will be

• 4 weeks later...
Guest s14nissan

ment to say this thread has helped me alot thanks!!

so i've also found out the auto prop from a soarer will fit into the supra r154 gearbox which is a bonus for me as i have a spare one.

think i'll be buying a driftworks 1j lightened flywheel then uprated paddle clutch with arp flyhwel bolts, new toyota spigot bearing, rear crank seal and get a shifter extension for fitting it into a nissan shell.

started ripping my twins of my 1jz engine, so i need to now go sell them on to fund my big single swap :D

cheers. :D