The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Hub bearing, if it's not broken do I replace it anyway? Mondeo MK3 ST TDCi

Scott

My offside rear wheel bearing gave up the ghost over the last few weeks and so rather than just ordering one I got a pair (one for the other side). At the same time I got some new pads and discs.

Now, obviously with regards to the brakes both sides need to be replaced at the same time (whether it be pads, discs or both) but what about the wheel bearings? Is there any point in me changing the nearside if there is nothing wrong with it? I understand that at a later date, might be sooner rather than later, I will have to strip down to the same level at the rear in order to get the hub off as I do to do the brakes, but is there any other reason to be replacing it?

I don't mind replacing it as such, I just don't want to go swapping it over when I could get another year or 10 out of it. Waste not want not and all that.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. :)

No issues with not replacing bearings in pairs then? I certainly don't recall reading or hearing anything but I thought I would ask anyway.

I've always been a "If it ain't broke, fix it till it is" kinda guy so thought I would try and move away from that for a change :D

Already done it Peter, just did it there. Took me 2 hours to do the 1st side yesterday but just over an hour to do the 2nd side today.... as I knew what I was doing this time lol.

Turned out the nearside had a little noise coming from it too. It wasn't audible when driving but when giving it a spin by hand I could hear it so I just ditched it while I was in there.

what did you replace scott , was it the wheel bearings ?just read the title mate lol thought it was the supra

Lol. The Mondeo comes with the hub/bearing as a complete assy. It's a sealed bearing so the hub gets replaced at the same time making it an absolute doddle.

I wouldn't fancy doing the Supra ones :D